Monday 20 May 2024

A Warm Westbere

With some nice warm sunshine yesterday, I spent a few hours walking around the lakes and river bank at Westbere where it was pleasing to see a good range of odonata which included hundreds of Variable, Azure and Blue tailed Damselfly with lesser numbers of Red eyed Damselfly. Also seen were 5 Hairy Dragonfly, c20 Scarce Chaser, c150 Banded Demoiselle, 1 Broad bodied Chaser and 1 Norfolk Hawker. It was pleasing to have a few co-operative subjects where I was able to capture a few pleasing images. It seems each year I try to get a better shot of the Banded Demoiselles which are one of my favourite species, the colouring on both sexes just being superb. Thankfully whilst photographing some damselflies, a female Banded Demoiselle landed quite close to me and seemed quite happy with me taking a few photos. It was hard at times where to point the camera as there was so much to see. It certainly felt good seeing all of them again and hopefully with a couple of weeks off from next week, I can get out to enjoy watching and photographing them and a few other species. With quite a few photos still to look through, I will probably do another write up late in the week to showcase these photos. 


Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) - male


Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) - female


Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) - female


Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) - female











Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) - immature male


5 comments:

  1. One of my favourites the Banded Demoiselle. I felt lucky to find three on Saturday in some steamy conditions 12 miles south of Lancaster. Brilliant images Marc, the Scarce Chaser I'm probably never going to see, the north/south divide responsible for that.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. I get mesmerised every year by the Demoiselles. Such stunning subjects to see up close
      I'm lucky to have Scarce Chaser here, a real bonus dragonfly. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Not quite my subject but superb photographs Marc. My subjects have to visit me cos' I no longer visit them. My legs are no good for walking so my photography is limited to the garden. Best wishes,
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. A great shame you can't get out as much now but boy, are you lucky to have the visitors you do. I wish I had them in my garden. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Ecellent photos,, greetings Lasse

    ReplyDelete