It was nice this afternoon after checking the pond to find a newly emerged Large Red Damselfly resting up on some Grape Hyacinths. Although quite breezy but nice and sunny, I went inside to get the camera and then spent the next hour laying next to the pond taking a number of images. With a bit of gentle coaxing, I was able to move the damselfly to a slightly less cluttered area. Weather permitting, I shall be out and about a bit more now looking and photographing the dragonflies and damselflies that are local to me. This is the first year that I am running dragonfly tours on behalf of 'Naturetrek'. Three trips are planned for Grove Ferry with two trips at Nethergong and one at Sandwich Bay. Due to popular demand, more spaces have been added to the Grove Ferry trips and there are also a couple of spaces still available for the Nethergong trips. More information can be viewed at https://www.naturetrek.co.uk/tour-focus/dragonflies
Monday, 10 May 2021
Wednesday, 14 April 2021
I spent a few hours at Sandwich Bay this morning where after meeting Steffan (the warden) at 9am, we made our way to the Dainty pool where I spent about 15 minutes collecting a few larvae which we hoped would be Dainty Damselfly nymphs. I had brought my tank set up with me and after sitting down and going through the nymphs looking for the key features of Dainty, I spent some time setting up. Having never seen Dainty Damselfly nymphs before and hardly any literature out there about identifying them, (what there is in often in a foreign language), I spent some more time with Steffan going through the various species that they could be confused with. I still have much to learn myself about identifying some of the species at this stage but a few nymphs were found with spotting behind the eyes. This ruled out Dainty straight away as these were likely Azure or Variable Damselfly nymphs which have spotting. A careful count of the antennae on some of them revealed 7 segments which through elimination, ruled out Common Blue which generally have 6 segments. This left us with Blue tailed Damselfly nymph which also has 7 segments. It was then left to look at the caudal lamellae which in Blue tailed Damselfly nymphs, are long, thin and tapered towards the tip. The setae on one side reach the mid point and the other side, about a third. A few nymphs I think were of this species but a couple had very broad caudal lamellae which in Dainty are more broad in the distal half and ending in a point. The setae on one side reaches the mid point and the other side, over a third in length. With all these factors in mind, I photographed one of the likely candidates which showed the 7 antennae, lack of spotting on the head and broad rounded caudal lamellae. The only slight nagging point is are the setae slightly wrong? Looking at other photos on the internet vary in size and these fit within the range I have seen. There is still much to be written and learnt about these nymphs and hopefully these photos might help out at some point with a discussion on the id features. Whether it or isn't a Dainty Damselfly nymph, it was an educational few hours where hopefully I can return soon to maybe look for some more nymphs before the real fun begins when the adults emerge in a month or so.
Saturday, 16 January 2021
With a bit of time on my hands at the moment as we are on a rota at work currently, I thought it would give me the chance to spend a few days examining the Dainty Damselfly exuviae I collected last year at Sandwich Bay. A look through the books I have provided very little information as did the internet surprisingly and even then, a few sites of interest I did find were in languages I didn't understand. There were also few photos showing how to identify them which to someone like me, made the task quite difficult as I hope at some point later this year all being well, to hopefully gain permission to visit the site again to survey for nymphs and adults. With this seemingly lack of information out there about our rarest damselfly, this provided me with an opportunity to spend a few days in the warmth of the conservatory slowly investigating the various parts of the exuviae which make up the Dainty Damselfly. A shout out on Twitter for any help resulted in Dave Smallshire and Thomas Buchner providing me with some much needed help which I soon put into practice as I studied a number of exuviae to see the key features needed. As I got my eye in, the features became easier to see and comparing these to other 'blue' damselflies exuviae with which they look very similar, I was starting to have a better understanding at identifying the Dainty. With my knowledge at a satisfactory level now and feeling more confident, I started to take apart one of the exuviae to study it in closer detail. A few minutes soaking in some water and vinegar enabled me to prize apart the caudal lamellae and remove them whilst looking through the hand lens. This was followed by then carefully removing the mask which I can tell you, was very fiddly indeed. With the parts removed, this gave me the chance to study them better and see the proper shape of the caudal lamellae and mask. Each part was photographed individually and although I use a trusty Sigma 150mm macro lens, I really could have done with a 100mm macro lens for this work to achieve some closer and sharper images. Having said that, I ended up with some useful photos hopefully showing off some of the key identification features to identify the Dainty Damselfly exuviae which I know will definitely me and hopefully help others should they suspect they have found this species elsewhere in Kent. With some more time available next week, I may well chose a few more species exuviae and try this approach with them to show off their id features.