Saturday 20 July 2024

Wonderful Willows

I was out birding quite early this morning at Nethergong and as it was quite warm, I stopped off at a few points to check for any Willow Emerald Damselflies. As I walked next to the stream, the odd one was seen flying out of cover into the grasses. Further along in a sheltered warm area, there were c20 Willow Emerald Damselfly resting up and looking pretty stunning in the early morning sunshine. I only had the Canon f4 300mm lens with me so set about getting a few photos from as near as I could get. It was just a pleasant morning watching them flying out from cover to check each other out, normally to return to the same perch they had come from. I picked up on one Willow Emerald Damselfly flying quite high and kept it in the binoculars until I lost it to view. I must have been a few hundred feet up when I lost it but just goes to show how this species can move easily like it has around the country to new areas. I also saw 3 Norfolk Hawker, 1 Emerald Damselfly (their numbers have sadly plummeted in the past few years) 1 Small Red eyed Damselfly and a few Azure and Blue tailed Damselfly. The summer holidays begin from Wednesday next week so hopefully weather permitting, I will be able to get out a bit more often to see what is about and fingers crossed, a photo or two to share. 








Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - male








Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - female



2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you say the Emerald Damselfly numbers have plummeted over the past few Years Marc. It's a species I hope to connect with in our area in the coming days, at the only location I'm aware of in our immediate area.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete and good luck in your search. I look forward to any results you may get. Take care.

      Delete