Tuesday 23 July 2024

Joined The 'Southern' Club At Last!

With photos being posted online over the past few weeks of Southern Migrant Hawkers, It felt like I was the only person who had not seen this species this year so when a few were reported nearby at Seasalter, I decided on a visit last weekend. Arriving Sunday afternoon in quite cloudy conditions at 3pm, I made my way to the dried up pools where very quickly I could see 2 Southern Migrant Hawkers on territory flying up and down the ditch and pausing occasionally to hover. I was soon in photo mode and set about quickly watching where they were stopping to hover and moved in slowly to a good position. I was able to fire off a few initial shots and after checking the setting every now and then which were constantly changing due to the cloudy skies, I was then able to acquire a few more pleasing efforts. There were only occasional sunshine which immediately made them quite active but they soon vanished when the sun went in. I assumed that they must be going to ground somewhere in the dried up ditch so took a slow walk checking all likely areas. I eventually found a male which looked a little battle scarred but beggars can't be chooses at this point so made the most of a few photo opportunities. It seemed quite settled and I was able to creep in a little closer and capture those stunning blue eyes and markings. With the sun unlikely to make another appearance soon, I called it a day and left quite happy that I had at least seen this species this year. I also saw 2 Scarce Emerald Damselfly there. With the summer holidays starting tomorrow (yippeee) I'm hopeful of a few visits to a few Kent sites to photograph the species I encounter. Fingers crossed, I see a few more Southern Migrant Hawkers to study and photograph. 





























Southern Migrant Hawker (Aeshna affinis) - male

2 comments:

  1. Two Southern Migrant Hawkers, two Scare Emerald Damselfly, and the start of school holidays....Isn't life great Marc!

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you put it like that, it doesn't sound too bad. Just need a bit of good weather now for a while. Hopefully a few good things will turn up. Take care.

      Delete