Thursday 23 May 2024

More From Westbere

With so many photos taken last weekend at Westbere, I thought I would post some more of what I saw. There were a good number of Variable Damselflies and as the name suggests, their markings can indeed be 'variable'. Some had the wine cup marking joined at segment 2 whereas some found didn't. I also found some with the bar between the eyes present and on some, absent. A few had the antehumeral stripes split producing the 'exclamation mark' and on some it was completely joined. As you can see, it's not always straight forward but a reliable feature to look for is the tri-lobed pronotum (shield behind the head). It was also nice to find a few immature male Scarce Chasers which were just starting to get their mature colours. Give them a few days and hopefully they will look in top condition. Weather permitting, I have a couple of weeks off from next week so will hopefully be out looking for the Dainty Damselfly and other species to be found in east Kent. 








Variable Damselfly (Coenagrion pulchellum) - male 





Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) - immature male




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two more that I may never see. Excellent images as ever Marc.

    Regards and enjoy the bank holiday....Pete.

    Sorry about the delete, I don't like spelling errors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. I an quite envious of some of the species you have up north tha we don't have down here. One day I will make it to Scotland for the specials there. Take care.

      Delete