Sunday 21 May 2023

Kent Dragonflies are Back!

After losing my mojo a few months ago, I have finally managed to find it again and am fully charged and enthusiast about the dragonfly season ahead. I have only been out a few times in the past few weeks with some success. A brief visit to Westbere Lakes last weekend produced my first Large Red, Azure, Blue tailed and Variable Damselflies of the season as well as a few Hairy Dragonfly. Yesterday (Saturday) I spent a few hours at Nethergong in sunny but windy conditions where I found 4 Large Red Damselflies, c50 Azure Damselfly and a few Blue tailed Damselfly. It was most pleasing to find 7 Hairy Dragonfly which were found in the sunny sheltered spots with one male providing some action for the camera which was much needed. With two weeks off now, I am hoping to visit a few places locally weather permitting to see what species are to be found and photographed. I always eagerly anticipate the first Norfolk Hawkers of the season which fingers crossed, I may find during the week. Many thanks for looking in and I hope you will return throughout the season to see what I have encountered. 














Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense) - male

7 comments:

  1. Your comment in January....'This will be my final post on Kent Dragonflies'....my reply....'Can't believe what I just read here, but I'll learn to live with it but not easily'.

    I too am fully charged and enthusiast about the dragonfly season ahead....Great to see you are back Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. Good to be back out again looking for and photographing the dragonflies. Take care.

      Delete
  2. A wonderful welcome back Marc. Looking forward to some beautiful butterflies from your camera.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. I might even post some photos of some dragonflies too if you are lucky. Take care.

      Delete
    2. Sorry about the slip-up Marc, its my age that does it.

      Delete
  3. I'm extremely relieved to see Kent Dragonflies back again, Marc - and in grand style too!

    I too have been seeing Hairy Dragonflies over the past two days - many sightings but failed to get a single shot! They are flying low, weaving through dense vegetation, only just above the water. I shall probably have another attempt tomorrow.

    Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your welcome Richard. Some years I find it hard to get photos of the Hairy Dragonflies but this year, they seem to be falling at my feet, or perhaps I am checking areas more thoroughly. A few more posts with HD in them, I make no apologies for these little stunners. Take care.

      Delete