Tuesday 23 May 2023

Quite a 'Scarce' Session

Despite the cloudy skies and strong wind still, I decided on a trip to Westbere Lakes again yesterday in the hope of checking out the sheltered areas for dragonflies and damselflies. It was soon apparent on arrival that not much was flying so it was a walk through the long grasses and nettles to find my targets. I soon found quite a few Variable, Azure and Blue tailed Damselflies with lesser numbers of Red eyed Damselflies. A thorough search of likely areas produced 7 Hairy Dragonflies and I was able to obtain some more pleasing images with the macro lens. As I walked along the river I stopped to check out and area where last year I had found Scarce chaser exuviae and it wasn't long until I got my eye in and found a few. In about 30 minutes I found about 10 Scarce Chaser exuviae all relatively close to each other and also a newly emerged male which was sheltering and resting. It had probably emerged earlier in the day and was waiting for better weather to make its maiden flight. After potting my souvenirs I continued on where I found up to 10 Scarce Chaser in nettles near the river and also c50 Banded Demoiselle resting. Checking more emergent vegetation turned up 3 Hairy Dragonfly exuviae and a few Red eyed Damselfly exuviae. It may have not been the best weather for dragonflies but if you look hard enough, there is plenty to be found still. My next post will feature yet more Hairy Dragonflies as a few showed beautifully today in the … sunshine!











Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense) - male












Variable Damselfly (Coenagrion pulchellum) - male


7 comments:

  1. Well done Marc, Well worth the effort. Excellent photo's as per usual. Hope to see many more. Take care. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. Good to be back again and hopefully providing some material that others will like. Take care.

      Delete
  2. More super shots, Marc. Your shots of the Variable Damselfly have reminded me to be more careful about dismissing my sightings of similar damsels as 'just another Azure', although Variable would be quite a find if local to me!

    Still not managed to find a perched Hairy this year, and stand no chance of a flight shot of one in the area that they're flying in near me.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I think they are almost impossible in flight unless you get a really cooperative individual. Always worth checking the damsels out. You never know! Take care.

      Delete
  3. More great stuff with excellent illustrations again Marc. Don't know how far I would have to travel to see either of these two, but certainly not within our recording area of Lancashire and North Merseyside that's for sure.

    Thanks for the sharing, with my Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Pete. I'm pretty lucky in Kent to have a wide range of species to study. You do well though with Golden ringed Dragonfly up there though. Take care.

      Delete
    2. Yes, 32 GRD last year Marc, was well pleased with that result.

      Delete