Wednesday 25 July 2018

'Southern' Love at Oare Marshes

I made another visit this morning to Oare Marshes in the hope of seeing and photographing some more Southern Migrant Hawkers. I am certainly going to try to make the most of this species this year and being such a stunning dragonfly to see, who can blame me. After parking up at 9:30am, I spent a while walking along the ditch towards the East flood hide and saw up to 5 male Southern Migrant Hawkers flying up and down the ditches and occasionally chasing each other off over the meadows before flying back in to carry on their mission of patrolling a territory in the hope a female would pass. I did try for a few photos here but the light was not that good so decided to walk across the road to the ditches on the West flood. During the couple of hours here, I managed to see a further 5 male Southern Migrant Hawkers on territory and others saw a few more in different areas. Despite the baking conditions (around 30 degrees celsius) I spent a while with a few males trying to capture them in flight and managed to capture a few pleasing efforts for my time. I still think there is plenty of room for improvement here but its an enjoyable if somewhat frustrating challenge as you can appreciate, but a challenge that I really enjoy. With the sun now taking its toll on me, I made my way back to the car around 12:15pm where on the way, I noted 3 Emperor Dragonfly, a few Emerald Damselfly and lots of Common and Ruddy Darter in tandem. Despite the heat, another lovely session spent in some good company of others also appreciating these superb dragonflies. Will I be back again... I think you may know the answer!
 













Southern Migrant Hawker (Aeshna affinis) - male


10 comments:

  1. Stunning images Marc,brilliant flight captures.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John. I can't get enough of these at the moment. Such a privilege to have these close to home and I'm going to make the most of it.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful images Marc. I love them in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. A certain grace about catching these in flight. Very rewarding when it works.

      Delete
  3. Wow, Marc! Fafabulous images! If I get down there in a couple of weeks I think I'll be calling in here on the way.
    Fingers crossed. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Most are still in very good condition so there is every chance they may still be flying.

      Delete
  4. Back down in Kent next week for 7 days before heading back with the grandkids for their holiday in the north east. We've only had temperatures in the mid 20s Marc, and that's hot enough for me, so i'm not looking forward to the temperatures when we arrive but am praying the Southern Migrant Hawkers hang about. A rare opportunity for me !!! When visited Oare earlier in the year, same week I saw you, I was wondering what species the ditches might hold as I went about my birding. Might bump into you again !!!! Sorry about that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should stand a very good chance if the weather stays dry and warm. They are loving this warm weather. Look in the ditches on the paths to the East and West flood hides. I had c18 today so plenty around. Good luck.

      Delete
  5. Stunning images Marc, I would say some of your best flight shots to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Alex. That's very kind of you to say so. A truly stunning species which hopefully will continue to branch out into Kent.

      Delete