Thursday, 23 July 2026

Schools Out For Summer!

With the first day of the summer holidays here at last, I decided on a visit to Nethergong to see whether any Southern Migrant Hawkers were on the dried up pools. On arrival at 11:15 in brightening skies, I could only enter one field to check as the other was full of cattle and I'm not that good with them if I'm honest. I made my way towards the dried up pools and thankfully, saw the first of 3 Southern Migrant Hawkers on territory flying continuously up and down. They didn't land in the ninety minutes I was with them so I thought I would attempt some flight shots. This is a good species to capture in flight as they can hover well at times. I did a bit of homework first before attempting a few photos. One of the males had a dangly leg and vigorously chased away anything that attempted to fly through or land in his territory. With a bit of patience, I ended up with a few useable photos. Still some improvements required but a fantastic way to spend a few hours. It certainly beats working! Other bits seen included 2 Norfolk Hawker, 4 Emperor Dragonfly, 2 Black tailed Skimmer, 2 Willow Emerald Damselfly, a few Common Blue Damselfly as well as Common and Ruddy Darter.

















Southern Migrant Hawker - male

2 comments:

  1. Truly great photos. How the title immediately reminded me of an Alice Cooper song. School's Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need funding or financial services for personal or business purposes, we would be pleased to assist you. Please contact us to learn more about the solutions available to meet your needs.
    zenithloanfirmservice@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete