It's seems to have been a good year for a number of species and this continued hot weather has no doubt encouraged more species to travel to our shores from the near continent. Two species that have done well are the Red veined Darter and Lesser Emperor. Both of these species have never been seen on my Nethergong/Chislet Marshes patch in the ten years of watching but with the addition of a reservoir this year, I was keen to monitor to see what species turned up. A few weeks ago I saw my first 5 Red veined Darter on the patch and despite not seeing any females, It would be nice to think that they have egg layed there. A check at the weekend again provided 4 Red veined Darter and 2 Lesser Emperor, a male and a female. Again a new species for the patch. I did take a few record shots but certainly not publishable! As I walked back to the car, I checked a sheltered sunny area and found a few Willow Emerald Damselfly. Despite only having the Canon f4 300 mm lens on, I decided to spend some time trying to capture a few images. It was nice to watch them flying out from the hedges and return with small prey a second later. Just spending time in nature has to be one of the best things ever. There's always something to look at, photograph or just enjoy. With a few weeks off work now, hopefully I can get out a bit to enjoy what nature has to offer.








No comments:
Post a Comment