Wednesday 31 May 2023

The Chase Is On!

A walk at Westbere a few days ago once again in the seemingly persistent northerly wind made for some tough going in finding and photographing the dragonflies and damselflies. It does seem at the moment that every visit wherever I go is ruined by the weather. Whilst sunshine is very welcome, I also don't mind it being cloudy but bright as this can often produce the best photos with the sun burning out the shots. The wind however, makes it very challenging to photograph as you can imagine. I spent some time the other day photographing a few Scarce Chaser in the sheltered areas and managed to take a few pleasing efforts. They really are a stunning dragonfly and it was nice to find a few immature males starting to colour up. It won't be long until the blue males are patrolling. I did try for a few Banded Demoiselle shots which really are some of my favourites and whilst I took a few, I will be back to spent some time trying to capture this cracking species. Fingers crossed this wind starts to calm down and change direction. It would be nice to not have to wear the winter clothing in the Spring!


Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) - immature male














Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) - female


Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) - immature male

6 comments:

  1. Great shots of the Scarce Chasers, Marc. I'm hoping to catch up with this species again when I visit Norfolk in a couple of weeks time. Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I bet you can't wait to get that new camera on a Norfolk Hawker? Look forward to seeing what you get. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Another one not going into my records any time soon....if ever. I'm turning green yet again!

    Excellent photographic results, can't wait to see the demoiselles Marc.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. A shame you don't have them up there. Like flying carrots when they whizz past. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Hi Marc, My foxes are treating me well but wish I had your selection of chasers and such in my garden. (I'm just saying that).
    Excellent photo's on an excellent post. Take care.
    Mike'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. I wish I had them in my garden too. Would make life a lot easier.Take care.

      Delete