Monday 29 May 2023

Hairy Posers!

A visit to Westbere Lakes again over the past couple of days in sunny but still a very annoying northerly wind made it quite hard going but out of the wind, there were plenty of dragonflies and damselflies to see. There were good numbers of Variable, Azure, Blue tailed and Red eyed Damselflies around as well as 1 broad bodied Chaser and good numbers of Banded Demoiselle. A good check of likely areas produced and excellent 41 Scarce Chaser of differing ages and a few photos were taken which I shall post in due coarse. There were 7 Hairy Dragonfly with a couple of males posing beautifully in the sunshine and with a bit of ninja stealth, I was able to get into a few positions to take a few shots. I did have a good check to see whether any Norfolk Hawkers were to be seen but not yet. They would have emerged by now I suspect and are probably maturing up away from the water. Hopefully a visit this week will produce a few. I did however see my first Norfolk Hawker yesterday (28th) at Nethergong which I accidently flushed from the long grasses which then landed on the other side of the stream. He looked in immaculate condition and begs the question again whether they have bred on site this year in the streams. 


















Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense) - male

6 comments:

  1. Three more species to show the south-north divide Marc. Only the mention of possible historical sightings of Hairy Dragonfly can be found in unconfirmed records in Lancashire and North Merseyside. Nine brilliant images of the Hairy.

    Like you have said to me many times, keep up the good work Marc.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise how rare the Hairy was up north. Maybe as the climate warms up more, they will push up your way over the years. Fingers crossed you actually get to see one at some point. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Excellent images of the Hairy Dragonfly, Marc. I have seen several of them this year at a local spot, and even had a female briefly try ovipositing on a boardwalk in front of me. It then moved off down to the water beside the boardwalk before I could get it in the viewfinder, and then started ovipositing on a floating bit of vegetation but, again, it moved off when disturbed by a male before I could get it in my viewfinder. Finding things in the viewfinder is the main problem that I'm having with the new camera. It is very frustrating, but I hope that I'll get used to it soon, as it doesn't bode well for dragonfly flight shots!

    Berst wishes - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I'm sure you're just having a few teething issues and that you will soon be firing shots off left, right and centre. Always takes a little time to get used to a new toy. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful pictures Marc. I wish I could get my foxes as sharp as that. Take care,
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. You do pretty well with your fox photos. Keep up the good work. Take care.

      Delete