Friday 17 June 2022

They're Out There!

Last year I was sent a photo of a pair of Dainty Damselfly from a new site on the North Kent coast so with this in mind, I had pencilled in a visit to the site in early June to see whether there were any on the wing. On a warm morning last week I arrived on site and started searching initially through the long grasses where a few Azure and Variable Damselfly were noted. It wasn't long however until I found a small damselfly flying and when it come to rest, I was pleased to see it was a male Dainty Damselfly. Further searching in the next hour found quite a few more Dainty in the long grasses including a few pairs in cop and mating pairs too. I set about getting a few photographs and was able at times to lay down and slowly move in and achieve a few pleasing efforts. Once you get your eye in, the males can be easily identified in flight due to their size and two and a half black segments on the abdomen. As the weather warmed up I made my way to the pool to see whether and ovipositing could be noted. I was somewhat taken back when I started to scan and most I were seeing were Dainty Damselfly. It was pretty impossible to do an accurate count but in my first initial efforts, I must of had at least 100 Dainty Damselfly. I was seeing the odd Azure Damselfly in there but everywhere I looked, Dainty was the predominant species. I checked the ditches nearby where once again Dainty Damselfly were seen flying in pairs and egg laying. With the ditches checked around and the main pool there must have been in excess of 200 Dainty Damselfly seen. I suspect the ditches that could not be checked probably had them on too. It seems they favour pools where the weed etc is on and just below the water's surface. They also seem to like egg laying in numbers as often large groups could be seen together in a small area. What a result to see this rare damselfly seemingly spreading in Kent. I'm sure other pockets must be out there on the Kent and Eseex coasts. It just needs more observers to become more familiar with how to identify them and get out there and look in suitable habitat. Needless to say, a superb session where c10 Scarce Emerald Damselfly were also seen along with plenty of Four spotted Chaser, Black tailed Skimmer and Emperor Dragonfly. time and weather permitting, I hope to return soon. 




Dainty Damselfly (Coenagrion scitulum) - female










Dainty Damselfly (Coenagrion scitulum) - mating pair 



4 comments:

  1. Maybe one day I will have the privilege to see this species, Marc? In the meantime, I will content myself with your beautiful images. Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. When you finally get the id features right and you know what you are looking at, they are a stunning species. Happy to show you next year all being well that they appear. Take care.

      Delete
  2. From a photo of an individual at a new site last year, to 200 Dainty Damselflies this year, sounds like a great expansion to me. Excellent illustrations as always Marc.

    Kind Regards from Lanc's....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. Hopefully there are more unfounded colonies out there to secure the future of this rare Damselfly. I'm surprised nothing has been found in Essex yet...but has anyone looked I wonder? Take care.

      Delete