Monday 16 August 2021

Dreaming of Gold!

It's been about six years since I last saw Golden ringed Dragonfly in Kent (a scarce species in Kent) so when I heard that Barry Wright and James Hunter had seen a few at a site in west Kent, I was keen to see if I was able to visit. After getting directions from Barry and with the forecast looking good for Sunday, I decided to give it a go and thankfully, Sunday dawned sunny and I set off about 10am. About 45 minutes later and in the middle of nowhere, I eventually pulled up at a bridge overlooking a small stream. Immediately I could see Banded and Beautiful Demoiselles flying around. We don't get Beautiful Demoiselle in east Kent so it was nice to see this species again. After having a drink and getting the camera ready, I stood at the bridge again and waited. It must have only been a few minutes before a male Golden ringed Dragonfly flew up the stream showing nicely. I had forgotten how stunning they were. I was happy to just see one but if a photo could be obtained, that would be a bonus. As I continued to watch up the stream through the binoculars, I could see a Golden ringed Dragonfly patrolling an area which it seemed quite loyal too. I slowly made my way through the vegetation and carefully sat down at the waters edge and scanned again. It wasn't long until he passed again and then perched up. I just had to have a look first through the binoculars at close range and take in the stunning colours and detail on this dragonfly before the camera could not wait any longer and I set about trying to get some images... without also trying to fall in as I was delicately perched. I spent the next hour and a half watching at least 3 Golden ringed Dragonfly patrolling up and down with two perching occasionally where I was able to get some pleasing images. Add plenty of Beautiful and Banded Demoiselle, Common Darter, 1 Brown Hawker, 1 Southern Hawker and of course the lovely sound of a trickling stream serenading you, this was my idea of heaven. I barely saw or heard anyone in my time there. What a stunning part of Kent and hopefully I can return next year to see them again and not leave it so long. I didn't know if photos were going to be on the cards as Barry said the site was hard to see from but after just sitting there and being accepted by them, I was really pleased with the photos I managed to get, and to see the Golden ringed Dragonfly again in Kent was definitely a 'wow' moment.  














Golden ringed Dragonfly (Cordulegaster boltonii) - male

10 comments:

  1. Great shots, Marc. Delighted to know that you caught up with these beauties locally to you. Definitely one of my favourite dragons! Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Can't believe I've left it so long to see them. Pleased I managed a few nice photos of them. Didn't know if I would get the chance of any photos. Needless to say, I will try and return next year. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I love the Golden ringed Dragonfly shots, Marc, they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. A stunner to watch and quite a size too. Pleased I now went. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Dreams come true....'I'd love to see these in my part of Kent'....Really pleased for you on this Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. Nice to get in on the action. With a few more visits and time, I could probably get a few more useable images. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Hi Marc,
    Photo's up to your usual standard but highly unusual. Its a new one on me. Great pictures. Take care,
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. One of our most spectacular dragonflies. Not common in Kent at all so I had to wander to west Kent for these. A lovely session with a few bonus shots. Take care.

      Delete
  5. The Golden-ringed has to be our most spectacular species. I've seen more this year and some in unexpected area so maybe they have had a good year and spread to new areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love them to spread more in Kent. I dream of a day when they are in East Kent. I suspect they may be in unrecorded areas. Take care.

      Delete