Friday 27 August 2021

Camping with Dragons!

Along with a few friends, we have spent 4 days camping at Nethergong during the past week where in the sunshine at times, I have been able to spend a few hours walking around the site looking and photographing the dragonflies and damselflies which are on the wing. I was hoping to make a few high counts of Willow Emerald Damselflies but with strong winds most days, this was not possible. I'm hoping in the next week or so to be able to do this but it will be back to weekends soon as I will be back at work next week. Dragonflies noted during the stay included 1 Southern Migrant Hawker, c30 Migrant Hawker, c60 Willow Emerald Damselfly seen at various points but many areas were not checked due to the winds. There were c20 Emerald Damselfly, 3 Emperor Dragonfly, 1 Southern Hawker and a few Ruddy and Common Darter. I have made many a joke over the years of failing every year to photograph a Brown Hawker as I think personally that this species has to be one of the hardest to photograph. I did photograph a male at range which at the time was better than nothing but on one afternoon, I noticed a female working along the ditch ovipositing every now and then. Up ahead I could see a small log floating on the far side a few metres away so made my way there and sat opposite and hoped that it would pause and egg lay here. It was a few minutes later and me sitting still that she flew in and landed on the log and started to egg lay. This was my best opportunity and although the background was pretty noisy, I settled in for a few minutes as she made her way around the log. I managed a handful of pleasing images and at least, I now had a few shots of a Brown Hawker. Aside to the photos, It was nice to be able to study the detail on this species.








Brown Hawker (Aeshna grandis) - female ovipositing 

In a few sheltered warm spots a few Willow Emerald Damselfly were resting up and without the harsh sunlight here, it was nice to capture a few images of one of my favourite species. During the stay, I also managed a few shots of a male Emperor Dragonfly as well as some Migrant Hawker shots which I shall post in due coarse. 






Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - male





Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - female

12 comments:

  1. Delighted to see that your Brown Hawker 'famine' has come to an end, Marc! Wonderful Willow Emerald shots too. It must be more than thirty years since I last spent a night under canvas - those were the days!

    Take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes nice to at last get a Brown Hawker photo but would like a basking male next in an uncluttered place. Probably too much to ask. Hopefully get to count the Willows soon weather permitting. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I love the Brown Hawker her doing its thing, and Willow Emerald Damselfly, they are wonderful Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The male Brown Hawker seems to be the most difficult to photo but I have found a trick this year that seems to work. Wait for a day where there is alternate sun and cloud in quite quick succession. Locate a patrolling or hunting male and watch its flight territory. They have a tendency to perch lower down than normal during the cloudy interval. Get into position before the sun reappears and as soon as it does, start snapping. You may not have long before it's off again in the warmer conditions. I've had a male perch on five successive occasions in almost the same place using this strategy with resultant good shots. On another day it happened three times. Good luck.

    Tony Taylor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice Tony. I have tried this before but when they have settled it's always normally the other side of a ditch. Perseverance will finally win... one year.

      Delete
  4. Enchanting photography Marc on a subject I know little about. Take care
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. If you spend enough time with a subject, I suppose you are going to get quite good at it. You're doing g very well with your Foxes. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Excellent set of images Marc. I Haven`t seen many of either of these species this year. I did manage to get a few photos of Brown Hawker ovipositing last Year. As a matter of interest, Sue Morton has posted a photo of a male Brown Hawker on her flickr site today. Best for me this year was a coupled pair of Lesser Emperors ovipositing on the dipping pond at Crossness NR. Singles have been seen in the same area on occasions for the past two Years. Whether this means they could be breeding there would be hard to prove do think? Good luck with snapping a male Brown Hawker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen your photos of the Lesser Emperors. There's every chance they will breed there. It's just proving it with exuviae. Is the pond easy to access for dipping with a net to check? I wouldn't mind a go next year.

      Delete
    2. The pond is easily accessible. There is a little used public footpath next to it. I`ll have a word with the Thames Water Reserve Manager, Karen Sutton to make sure it will be okay for you to dip it as and when. I`m sure she will be okay with that. Nearer the time perhaps we can arrange to meet there

      Delete
    3. Bernie. Brilliant. Sounds like a plan.

      Delete