Sunday 2 August 2020

Waiting For Willows

After what seems to have been a very busy last month visiting various sites around the county, it was nice to be able to get back to Nethergong to have a relaxing session watching the Willow Emerald Damselflies. In only a few sessions in the past few weeks, I have seen over 200 Willow Emerald Damselflies emerge and can only guess how many others I would have missed emerging. I'm looking forward to a few more sessions over the next few weeks where I can monitor their numbers and see whether they are continuing to increase on this site. During the weekend, I have made a couple of morning visits in warm sunshine where I managed on Saturday to find 40 Willow Emerald Damselfly and today (Sunday), I found 21 Willow Emerald Damselfly. On both days, I saw a number making their maiden flights from the reeds which is always a joy to see. Also noted over the weekend included 2 Southern Hawker, 2 Brown Hawker and a few Migrant Hawker are now being seen flying around the site. On both mornings during my visit, there is a place that I check around 08:30 where the sun breaks through the trees on the south side of the site and it soon warms up the area. This is one of the first places that the Willow Emerald Damselflies can be seen during the day. Some are seen flying from the stream and flying up into the trees whereby others that are already mature can be seen descending down from higher trees to take in the sunshine. With some patience, scanning and luck, they will often perch quite close to the ground and allow photos to be taken with a slow approach. I spent an hour on both days this weekend just sitting in the sunshine waiting for them to come to me and it wasn't long until they started to appear and eventually land in some promising positions. It was then a case of moving in slowly and taking a few shots before edging closer in.
 

 Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - female

 Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - male

Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - female
 
At this time of day, they are often still a little sluggish so you can often spend quite a bit of time with some individuals before they move off. It was great just watching them build in numbers from the trees as others appeared from the stream and quickly flew across the path to the safety of the trees. I certainly made the most of not having to walk around searching which is often the case. As most readers of this blog will know, this species has been very special to me over the past few years and I look forward to many more sessions tracking them this year... and I'm sure, plenty more photos of this stunning little species.
 



Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - male 

Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - female


7 comments:

  1. Many thanks Agnieszka for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marc, It must be good to go to a spot and photograph something of interest. My problem is that when I do that there is nothing so I do my best to attract it to my garden with not much success. Thats where the animals come in but they are feeding elsewhere hence not much photography. I'll keep trying. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always stuff out there to be photographed. Just need to find it. There has to be a patch of water near you with wildlife on it. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Hello Marc, Again some great observations of these Dragonflies and Damselflies and all to enjoy with these stunning photos you make.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind words Roos. They are very much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. Can never see too many Willow Emerald images, Marc, especially when they're of this quality! Went looking for the Leicestershire ones last Thursday where I saw them last year (in mid-September), but no sign yet - I hope that they'll be there this year, as there was plenty of evidence of breeding last year.

    Take great care and stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will connect with them Richard if you put a few sessions in. Just as well you like shots, I feel you will be seeing plenty more in the next few weeks. Take care.

      Delete