Wednesday 5 August 2020

Southern Surveys

With a day of warm sunshine but a brisk wind forecast, I had arranged with the warden of Sandwich Bay to survey a few private sites in the area for dragonflies and damselflies. After arriving on site about 11am, I really wanted to see whether I could find any mating pairs of Southern Migrant Hawkers and if possible, see them egg laying in the ditches. After finding the first female in the area the week before, this would be fitting to complete the picture of this species and hopefully confirm that they are attempting to breed in the area. The wind made for a difficult few hours but walking the ditches, I managed to find 13 Southern Migrant Hawkers which included one mating pair which thankfully appeared in front of me when I was taking a drink break. As ever in these situations, all kinds of vegetation is normally in the way but I managed to take a few photos to confirm that the species is indeed mating in the ditches there.
 


Southern Migrant Hawker (Aeshna affinis) - mating pair
 
They eventually moved off into the shade to continue their private moment which ironically would have produced the best photo if I had managed to make it to the other side for a photo. I continued to walk and check the ditches where the cattle had left their footprints on the edge of the water when all of a sudden, a pair of Southern Migrant Hawkers flew up from one of the holes and continued to look for more egg laying sites. I was off in hot pursuit and saw them land a few more times in the cattle prints and slowly moved in for a shot. They were quite obscured but I had good views as they reversed down the hole to oviposit. I took a record shot which at least confirms that they are attempting to egg lay here.
 
Southern migrant Hawker (Aeshna affinis) - Ovipositing Pair
 
Feeling pleased with the detective work, I made my way back and checked a few more dry pools where I found 2 Southern Emerald Damselfly resting. I spent a few minutes here taking a few pleasing photos as they blew around in the wind.
 

Southern Emerald Damselfly (Lestes barbarus) - male
 
Other bits noted today included 2 Migrant Hawker and 3 Emperor Dragonfly. Despite the strong wind, a very successful trip and nice to be able to slowly put the jigsaw pieces together with the Southern Migrant Hawkers. Hopefully next year all being well, we will be able to prove without doubt that they are breeding in the area as we already expect they are.
 

Southern Emerald Damselfly (Lestes barbarus) - male
 


Southern Migrant Hawker (Aeshna affinis) - male
 


8 comments:

  1. Hi Marc, Excellent post with the usual quality pictures. Take care and stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. Trying to capture the colours on the camera of a Southern Migrant Hawker is tricky but I think the last one sums up what stunning colours this species has. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely brilliant work, Marc! You've captured the fabulous colours of the Southern Migrant Hawkers perfectly - and to get them mating too - WOW! Somewhat impressed by the Southern Emerald Damselflies too. to say the least! Featuring two species that I've yet to see - maybe next year!?

    Stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I've been quite lucky to have a few sessions with them and as you can imagine, I can't help but keep going back for more. You will have to pencil a trip south next year for both of them.

      Delete
  3. Hello Marc, Just great to see these fantastic photos of the Southern Migrant Hawkers mating.
    Super.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Roos. A bonus indeed to get these shots. Patience and many trips pays dividend in the end.

      Delete
  4. Stunning images Marc, I love the Southern Emerald Damselfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. A seemingly good year for some species. Lets hope it continues.

      Delete