Thursday 9 July 2020

Stalking In The Grass

The Willow Emerald Damselfly season has started a good 10 days earlier than last year and I'm already making the most of my early morning visits. A few visits last weekend saw a few emerging and making their maiden flights where often they fly straight to the trees and are lost to view but a number will fly and land in the tall grasses next to the stream. This gives me the opportunity to creep up and take a few shots before they continue their flight towards the trees where they will mature up over the next few weeks. Sunday morning saw a very brief window of sunshine and it was nice to see a few Willow Emerald Damselfly land in an area where there are a few poppies and other wild flowers growing which immediately gave me the idea of trying to capture one with a flower in the background. If nothing else, it would look a bit arty and colourful and certainly wake the photo up. The slightly tricky thing was getting into a position with the tripod and camera where I could do this but after a bit of faffing around, I was able to start taking a few pleasing images of the shot I had in mind. After about 15 minutes the sun disappeared and it never was seen again during the session. A continued walk through the grasses for a hundred yards or so produced a few more Willow Emerald Damselfly flying out of the grasses but it's still a little early I suspect to get the bigger numbers emerging. Hopefully with better weather forecast for this weekend, I may get lucky and see a number emerging and making their maiden flights. Despite being at work this week, I did have an early morning session earlier in the week at Nethergong where I was able to take a few more photos which I shall post in due coarse. I also need to try to fit in sessions at Oare, Sandwich and Cliffe during the next few weeks to see a few more species. There's not enough time... aaaaahhhhhhh!
 





Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - female


5 comments:

  1. Many thanks Agnieszka. It made for a nice composition and certainly adds a bit of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Highly impressed by these, Marc. Certainly a little different in their composition through using the flowers and buds to excellent effect. I will now be looking for similar opportunities myself!

    Take great care and stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I'm still excited that they are actually on the wing now. Looking forward to many more special moments.

      Delete
  3. Very nice Marc, much prettier than my foxy pictures. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Both stunning in their own way. Looking forward to some nice weather over the weekend. Hope it's a good one. Take care.

      Delete