Tuesday 4 June 2019

Not So 'Scarce' This Year

With some sunshine forecast for yesterday morning, I decided to spend a few hours at Westbere Lakes again to see whether the Norfolk Hawkers had increased in number. In about 3 hours, I only managed to find 4 Norfolk Hawker and hoped for more but I suspect their numbers will slowly build over the next few weeks. The day however belonged to the Scarce Chasers were I managed to find 42 which I believe is the most I have seen at this site on one visit. During the last few years, I have only just about managed double figures with this species so to see this number was excellent. Throughout my walk, it was nice to see a good number of males on territory and its always a nice sight watching them zoom off their chosen perch to see off other males before normally returning back to the same perch. With this in mind, I decided to try to find a male that I could photograph that didn't have a cluttered background and after a good search, I found my target. This species with a slow approach will let you get quite close and I was then able to take a number of pleasing photos of this male. As can be seen halfway up the blue abdomen on this species by the dark markings, there are signs where the female has hung on where the pair have mated and the powder blue pruinescence has been removed. Other species noted on my walk included 10 Black tailed Skimmer, 3 Hairy Dragonfly, 1 Emperor Dragonfly, 1 Four spotted Chaser, c50 Banded Demoiselle and hundreds of Variable, Azure and Blue tailed Damselflies. There were also good numbers of Red eyed Damselfly noted. Hopefully in between the heavy showers which we seem to have at the moment, I can make a few more visits during the week to Grove Ferry and Westbere Lakes to monitor how the various species are doing this season.
 



Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) male


8 comments:

  1. Hi Marc, Good stuff once again. I've had two weeks of comp. problems so I hope I havn't missed anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. I hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Scarce Chaser, I love they standing Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. I think it was the background colour which made me take these shots. Think it works well with the Chaser.

      Delete
  3. Super images of a species that is very difficult to find in this county, Marc, but I hope to be on to some elswhere in a couple of weeks - together with Norfolk Hawker. Missing the dragons as it was very cold and quite windy on the Outer Hebrides and I didn't see a single dragon, and I've had too much to catch up with since getting home - I'll try and get a fix in the next couple of days, weather permitting!

    My best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I thought you must have been away advice hadn't heard from you. Hopefully the weather will be kind to you and let you get out to see those targets.

      Delete
  4. Hello Marc,
    I am impressed every time by your fantastic photos of the different dragonflies.
    Beautiful sharp photos, fantastic colors and great details.
    I always enjoy your beautiful photography.

    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Helma for your kind words. They are much appreciated. With so many species on the wing, it's hard to keep up with it all at the moment.

      Delete