Monday 8 April 2019

The Season Awakes

As mentioned in my previous post, I returned home Friday after work in the seemingly warm sunshine and went out in the garden to check the pond and was greeted with the lovely sight of a male Large Red Damselfly. The previous few nights had seen a few nymphs on the surface so I had a good idea that they would emerge soon and given the weather on Friday, it was no surprise really that they should start to emerge. I spent some time laying at the pond just taking in the sighting and after a while, went indoors to get the camera to take a few photos of my first of the year. It took a while for me to be accepted as every time I moved, the damselfly would move around the stem and hide but after a while and with some patience, I was finally rewarded with some lovely unobstructed views and managed to take a number of pleasing images. Up close, they really are stunning little colourful damselflies. With a bit of luck, I still have a few more to emerge and will hopefully be able to photograph another emergence soon as well as keeping an eye out for the Hairy Dragonfly nymphs which should soon be moving into the shallows to start the change of breathing in water to air. I will have to start checking the base of the reeds during the evenings from now on with a torch to see the tell tale head and back of the thorax just sticking above the water line. A real favourite of mine to see. It won't be long now.
 



Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) - male


12 comments:

  1. Fantastic images Marc, so close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Some of my better photos of this species I think. Pleased with these early season captures.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Many thanks Miki for your kind words. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. Nice to get them all in focus. Not always the easiest challenge when you are up close.

      Delete
  4. stunning photos...
    have a wonderful spring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Tanza. Fingers crossed for some lovely warm sunny weather here so I can get out to enjoy what's on offer.

      Delete
  5. Great to see that the season has truly started with your pond, Marc. Super images! It always causes me amusement, but is also very gratifying, when newly emerged damselflies move round to the back of stem when approached as an inbuilt self-protection mechanism. Still not feeling fit enough to get out yet. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard Much appreciated. Hopefully the pond will deliver a few more dragons and damsels yet. I've a few Hairy Dragonfly nymphs in there so they should start showing soon. Hope the weather treats us both well.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow .......
    these are beautiful macros of this beautiful red dragonfly.
    Great to see and these photos are so beautiful and so beautiful in color. Lovely if you have a pond in your garden yourself.
    My compliments.
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Helma. Much appreciated. Yes I am fortunate to have a pond wbich does help when it comes to taking photos of a few species.

      Delete