Saturday 6 April 2019

Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) Emerges

April is an exciting time for the odonata enthusiast as the first Large Red Damselflies emerge after the long winter period has passed. I always eagerly anticipate seeing the first and during the past week, I have made a few visits to my garden pond during the evening to see whether they have been moving into the shallows and spending time at the surface. On a few still nights, it was pleasing to see a few on top of the weed where they were no doubt changing their breathing from water to air. With a warm day yesterday (Friday), I returned home after work where I then went out into the garden to see what was going on and was very pleased when checking the vegetation to see a pristine male Large Red Damselfly soaking up the last few bits of sun in the garden. I spent a few minutes just making the most of the moment and enjoying my first sighting of the season before returning indoors for the camera where I then spent some time taking a few photos which I shall post in due coarse. I returned last night to the pond where I found a couple of nymphs on the weed and one in particular was clinging to a stem partially out of the water. I had a feeling that this one was possibly going to try to emerge during the early hours or during the next morning so with this in mind, I was up quite early this morning and went to check the pond. The nymph was still on the stem and even further out of the water. I spent the next couple of hours checking before at last, as I made another visit to the pond, the nymph had moved up the stem and was clearly thinking about emerging. I got all the equipment together and stayed back and watched through binoculars as to not disturb the nymph during these crucial times. Eventually after a short while, the nymph seemed to have settled and I was able to move in slowly and set up. This consisted of me laying on my belly at the pond and resting the camera on a beanbag. I was then able to slowly slide the pot with the stem in to a better less cluttered position and... waited. The minutes past until I at last saw some movement as the thorax started to split and the photography began. Although there was some early nice light, it was quite a challenge to get the shots I wanted and to add to this, as the damselfly emerged, the exuviae moved creating more challenges to get the shots in focus. Nonetheless, I stayed with the task and thankfully, the emergence all went well and I had my first emergence set of the season and was very pleased indeed. Hopefully the next week or so will provide a few more chances to photograph this species and I'm sure it won't be long until I start to see the first Hairy Dragonfly nymphs up at the surface starting their breathing change over. A very pleasant few hours spent indeed enjoying this marvel of nature.
 










Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) - teneral female


11 comments:

  1. How long does it take to shed its skin? Beautiful Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Bob. The process took about 1 hour 20 minutes this time but it can be longer than this sometimes and in other species such as Hawkers, it can last 2 - 3 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see Marc. The season kicks off in style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Bob. It's been a long wait so pleased to have seen my first of the season. Just need a few warmer days now to get a few more emerging.

      Delete
  4. Super shots, Marc - I love the light! Not sure if anything's going on in these parts yet - got laid low with a virus 10 days ago and not able to venture out yet. Hopefully in the next few days, weather perimitting. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. The light was not too good and the effect in the photos was switching the white balance to 'cloudy'. This then gives a warm glow to the shots. Hope you're feeling a bit better soon and ready for the season ahead.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant stuff Marc. You've got far more patience than I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. Yes, patience is definitely required for this but well worth the pain it sometimes causes depending what position you are in. Once the emergence starts, it's just a case of clicking away every now and then.

      Delete
  6. love the focus...I believe due to your great skill to control the light.
    I Enjoy to have a look your photos. Thank you for sharing.
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Tanza. Much appreciated. A moment in time that I thoroughly recommend to observe this miracle of nature.

      Delete
  7. I am slightly (healthy) jealous of these beautiful images of the creeping of the red dragonfly. Your patience is richly rewarded Marc :-)
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete