Friday 19 April 2019

Newly Emerged Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense)

After getting back from some birding at Reculver this morning, I went and had a check of the pond and was excited to see that a male Hairy Dragonfly had already emerged and was clinging on to its exuviae in the sunshine. I couldn't let this chance go by so quickly went and got the camera and spent the next 15 minutes or so taking a number of photos. I had collected the nymph during the winter from Nethergong and reared it in the pond with a view that I might be able to see it emerge and capture some photos, but I always try if possible to return the dragonfly or damselfly back to where I collected the nymphs so they can continue their lives as normal. Thankfully, my timing on this occasion was good as I was able to put it on a stick in a large pot and drive it back to Nethergong where I released it next to a large pond. After a quick walk around the area, I returned to check if it was still there but it had already flown off. Hopefully with this warm spell of weather we have at the moment, this will encourage a few more to emerge in the next few days.
 




Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense) - teneral male with exuviae


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful images of the Hairy Dragonfly, thank you Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. The long wait is over. Hopefully this warmer weather will encourage a few others to emerge.

      Delete
  2. Best shots of Hairy I've ever seen, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Pretty pleased with this set.

      Delete
  3. fantastic photos...
    Happy Easter to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Tanza, much appreciated. Happy Easter to you too.

      Delete
  4. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete