Sunday 27 January 2019

Red eyed Damselfly (Erythromma najaz) Nymph

With some sunny weather yesterday morning for a few hours, I decided on another visit to Grove Ferry where the plan was to spend some time dipping with the net to see what species could be found. I really wanted to try to locate some Small Red eyed Damselfly nymphs as I have yet to see one of these but although there are a few distinctive features to note, they can be quite tricky to identify. With this in mind, I spent a couple of hours dipping in a dyke where I noted plenty of adults during last season but with a lack of experience on this species and not that much written about them, I wasn't sure whether I would find them or whether they would be still in the egg stage. Nonetheless, I started to catch quite a few damselflies, mostly Azure and Blue tailed Damselflies but I then got quite lucky when I netted a distinctly larger nymph which I instantly recognised as a Red eyed Damselfly nymph. The small head, longer abdomen and three dark bands on the caudal lamellae all pointed to this species. I had only previously only netted one individual of this species so I put it into the tray with a view to taking it back home for a photographic session in my indoor tank. The next hour produced another 5 Red eyed Damselfly nymphs which was very encouraging and an area I will visit again soon to net again, as well as trying later in the season to see whether I can find an exuviae of this species to add to my collection. I also managed to net 4 Emperor Dragonfly nymphs as well as plenty more damselfly nymphs which were scrutinised to see whether any were Small Red eyed Damselfly nymphs, but I failed to find any likely individuals. As if the session was not already successful, I looked at a few trees overhanging the ditch and was pleased to find a good number of Willow Emerald Damselfly gall marks which was a new area to see them for me. Another area to take more of a look at in the summer months. With the weather forecast not looking good this morning, I spent an hour or so in my conservatory photographing a couple of Red eyed Damselfly nymphs which after a bit of playing around with settings and backgrounds, produced a few useable images. There were later returned back to their original ditch where I collected them from. I would hope for a few more nymph photography sessions in the next few weeks to keep me busy and maybe I will eventually find a Small Red eyed Damselfly if I persevere.
 





 Showing 3 faint dark bands on the Caudal lamellae
 
 Showing small head and long abdomen
 
Red eyed Damselfly (Erythromma najas) Nymph


10 comments:

  1. Exquisite images, Marc. I wish you all the best in your search for exuviae of the Small Red-eyed Damselfly, and look forward to seeing the results! Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. The exuviae wont be until summer time but I'm quite hopeful I may stumble across a Small Red eyed Damselfly nymph. If it's a well marked individual, then I should be able to identify it. I shall keep trying.

      Delete
    2. Must have been having a senior moment when I wrote 'exuviae', Marc!!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic Red-eyed Damselfly exuviae. Brilliant shown Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob although the exuviae won't be present until the summer when they emerge. Hopefully now I know a good area, I stand a better chance of finding an exuviae.

      Delete
  3. So delicately beautiful. You can see the gut tract in the last shot of the nymph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Wilma. Yes, indeed you can see it. I must admit I hadn't noticed but it's clear to see now.

      Delete
  4. Keep going entertaining me with your pics Marc. It is now official that the small birds are disappearing from my patch, so for the time being I am doing the photography for a friends book. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do Mike. In these cold days, it's nice to get indoors with some nymphs for a photography session. It's certainly warmer. Sounds interesting about the book. Is it a nature book?

      Delete
    2. Unfortuneately not Marc. It's on local history but it will do me a lot of good locally.

      Delete