Thursday 2 August 2018

Southern Stars Shine in 2018

I expect that 2018 will be remembered for the excellent numbers of Southern Migrant Hawkers that appeared around different parts of the country. Many being 'firsts' for their respective counties given enthusiasts their possible first sighting of this stunning species away from the Essex and North Kent colonies. I maybe should have realised when I made my first visit to Canvey Island this year and saw over 50 teneral Southern Migrant Hawkers making their maiden flights that we were going to be in for a good year for this species. The Cliffe area in North Kent has also had a good year with decent numbers being seen and I suspect with the hot weather for some time now, these numbers may have been boosted by individuals from the continent. It was really good news when a few weeks ago, a few Southern Migrant Hawkers were seen at Oare Marshes and being only c25 minutes from home, was most welcome and saved the long drive to Cliffe and Canvey Island. I have made the most of this arrival and spent a few trips observing up to 18 individuals and also encountering a mating pair which hopefully looks good for the near future. With hot temperatures yesterday and a few hours to spare, I made what might be my last trip to see this species this year at Oare Marshes. As I drove down the approach road, I saw my first Migrant Hawkers here which seemed to be everywhere. I spent about three hours on site watching, photographing, speaking to other enthusiasts and even showing some visitors this rare dragonfly who wondered what I was watching in the reeds. They certainly went away quite enthused by their new sighting. Despite a good walk around, I could only find 6 Southern Migrant Hawkers, all males on patrol but I would assume there are others in the nearby area but numbers do seem to be on the down now, and with Migrant Hawker numbers rising, they will be in competition for areas as I saw them yesterday often chasing each other. I did manage to take a number of photos, some showing some battle scars and sign of wear but it would be nice to think that this species will continue to spread in North Kent in the next couple of years. I've certainly felt very privileged this year to have witnessed such good numbers of this species and been able to spend time studying and photographing them was a bonus. Also noted at Oare today were a few Emperor Dragonfly, 1 Brown Hawker and good numbers of Small Red eyed Damselfly, Blue tailed Damselfly, Common and Ruddy Darter, Black tailed Skimmer and c25 Migrant Hawker.
 








Southern Migrant Hawker (Aeshna affinis) - male


6 comments:

  1. Brilliant Marc, brilliant. The Southern Migrant Hawker is fantastic, especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. A striking species which hopefully will continue to expand its range over the next few years.

      Delete
  2. More fabulous images, Marc, which make me even more concerned that I might be just too late for these if I call in at Oare on Tuesday afternoon. I'm sure I'll find something else there to keep me amused, however. Will be in touch over the weekend. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I'm hoping you might just get lucky if you try. Most were still in good condition so may still be around. Lots of Migrant Hawkers around now but if you see a male SMH, there should be no problem. If I'm around, I may try to venture up there to help you.

      Delete
  3. They are a cracking species Marc and so good to see them colonising like they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A stunning species indeed. Fingers crossed, they are here to stay.

      Delete