Sunday 1 July 2018

Staying Local Delivers

With the last few months seeming quite manic as I try to make the most of the time at the weekends to see and photograph the different species in Kent and out of the county, I decided this morning to stay local and have a relaxed walk at Nethergong and later at Westbere Lakes. I was hoping for a few Emerald Damselflies as they are normally on the wing by now at Nethergong but despite a good search, I failed to find any. I normally see them in the last week of June at this site so hopefully they will emerge during the week. I did have a brief dipping session with the net at the stream and managed to find a few fully grown Emerald Damselfly nymphs and also some Willow Emerald Damselfly nymphs so at least they are there. A few Banded Demoiselle were seen as was 1 Norfolk Hawker. I then moved on to Westbere Lakes where I spent 2 hours having a leisurely walk up to the river and then west towards Fordwich for about half a mile. I saw a good range of species including 11 Norfolk Hawker including 1 female which showed beautifully and allowed me to take a number of photos very close to her and spend a good 20 minutes studying the detail on this species. Also seen were 8 Scarce Chaser, 3 Brown Hawker, 3 Emperor Dragonfly, 3 Black tailed Skimmer, a few hundred Banded Demoiselle and a variety of Variable, Azure and Blue tailed Damselfly. With July with us now, it wont be long until the Willow Emerald Damselfly is on the wing. Hopefully the second week of July will deliver the first emerging from the stream at Nethergong.
 






Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isosceles) - showing the 'blade' like ovipositor 


Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isosceles) - female


10 comments:

  1. When we see these creatures this close, you do really have to use words like 'weird' to describe them. I'm in awe with these images, more truly excellent work from you Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Viewed this close, they do look a bit alien but then you notice the details you've never seen before. Then you become amazed with them. Many thanks Pete. Appreciated.

      Delete
  2. I did manage to connect with this species last week, Marc, but my images are totally amateur compared to these wonderful ones. Well done - again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I'm glad you connected with this species and look forward to seeing your shots. This female seemed really relaxed with me and I was able to get literally right up close.

      Delete
  3. Love the ovipositor close ups Marc !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Johnny. Don't often get this close to see the ovipositer so I made the most of the chance in front of me.

      Delete
  4. These photos are absolutely amazing, so vivid and clear. What type of camera did you use to take these? Hope you have a nice rest of your week, keep up the posts.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for your kind word, Much appreciated. I use a Canon 7d Mk 1 camera and Sigma 150mm macro lens.

    ReplyDelete