Saturday 3 February 2018

Emperor Dragonfly Nymph (Anax imperator)

After taking delivery of a new net in the week, I thought I would take a wander over to Grove Ferry and Nethergong to see what I could find. I had already filled up one of my photography tanks with water a few days ago in the conservatory and hoped I would be able to spend some time this afternoon taking a few photos of whatever I collected. With the weather dull again which seems to be the norm at the weekend, I spent and hour at Grove Ferry where I netted in a few dykes I had previously not visited but looked quite encouraging. I managed to net 4 Emperor Dragonfly, 1 pretty much fully grown individual, one about 35mm in length and a couple of small striped Emperor Dragonfly nymphs. I returned three of them and decided to bring back the well marked 35mm nymph for a photography session back at home but will return back to the dyke tomorrow to release. I also managed to net a number of damselfly nymphs and suspect most were probably Blue tailed and Azure Damselfly nymphs but will have to spend some time soon studying them on site to identify them to a species if possible. After leaving Grove Ferry, I called in briefly to Nethergong where I only managed to net 1 Banded Demoiselle nymph along with a few damselfly nymphs. I returned home late morning where after warming up, I spent some time in the warm conservatory taking a number of photos of the striking Emperor Dragonfly nymph. This is our largest dragonfly in the UK and having reared a few before, they will eat most things in the water including their own species given half the chance. Hopefully another visit out in the morning with the net to see what can be found and I wouldn't say no to finding a Brown Hawker nymph. Now that would be a treat.  
 







Emperor Dragonfly Nymph (35mm)
 
 
 
 
 


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful Nymph, you have a way with Dragonflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Can't wait for the summer and watching them flying around again in the warm sunshine.... nice!

      Delete
  2. Glad the first outing with the new net was a success. Beautiful series of photographs, Marc. The lighting evokes warm, sunny days - not far off now ;-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Lucy for your kind words. Yes it won't be long until the season arrives. Pleased with how they turned out.

      Delete
  3. That's one mean-looking dude, Marc! Excellent photography as always. Really looking forward to the 2018 season now, with some specific target species which would be 'new' to me.

    Whilst in Scotland last week, out of curiosity I went to look at a lochan which hosts Northern Damselfly. I'm glad I did because it turned out to be a great place for Crested Tit!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. They certainly look as deadly as they are. Northern Damselfly would be a new one for me but it's cindi g the time to visit the area and sites. It's not just around the corner unfortunately. Maybe I can plan something this year.

      Delete
    2. If you do decide to go to look for the Northern Damselfly, Marc, I'd be happy to give you grid reference for a sure-fire site, and for a WFD site only about a mile up the road from it. Probably not going back myself until late May, 2019.

      Delete
    3. Many thanks Richard. That may be of great use Inneed. The problem is because I work at school, I have to wait until the holidays to venture anywhere. I think there flight time is June / July and i won't break up to late July. The only other alternative is a Friday night drive up there. Visit Saturday and back Sunday.

      Delete