Sunday 29 November 2020

2020 Odonata Highlights (April - May)

Despite 2020 being dominated mostly by the pandemic and observations at times being limited to staying local, there has been plenty of personal highlights. I have chosen a few of my favourite photos throughout the year, some for the photo itself but others for the experience I had with the species. I have chosen to showcase them into 3 installments: April-May; June-July and August, September and October. 

April - May

The long winter months finally passed by and the first Large Red Damselfly is always eagerly anticipated. I was able to spend a few sessions in April and May capturing this species at the pond where on one side, I had planted Grape Hyacinths to provide a nice background against their lovely colours. Spending some time laying at the pond, I spent quite a few hours waiting for them to land and rest within the flowers before taking a few nice photos.



Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) - male


During the winter months, I had collected a couple of Hairy Dragonfly nymphs and reared them in my garden pond with a view to hopefully photographing them one evening emerging against the backdrop of Grape Hyacinths. I had put a few sticks in the pond in front of the Grape Hyacinths and taken a few practice photos to achieve my desired photos. I was somewhat stunned then in mid April when I checked the pond early one morning to see a nymph at the base of one of my sticks. I would have been happy to photograph the emergence during the night which most often they do but to see this in broad daylight was an experience I will not forget in a hurry. Over the next few hours, I captured one of my best emergence sets of this iconic dragonfly. The colours of the dragonfly against the Grape Hyacinths were everything I wanted in this set and proved that with some patience and planning, pleasing images are achievable.


Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense) - male emerging


I was lucky during May to encounter Hairy Dragonflies quite a few times at Westbere Lakes and managed a number of photos.


Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense) - male


Mid May saw me at Westbere Lakes again photographing Banded Demoiselles which I look forward to seeing every year. Photos can be tricky as they are normally always skittish but I was able to take a few images showing them off to their best.

Banded Demioselle (Calopteryx splendens) - male


A colourful Broad bodied Chaser also provided me with a photo opportunity.

Broad bodied Chaser (Libellula depressa) - maturing male


Late May delivered one of my best odonata highlights I have ever had when I was invited as Kent Dragonfly recorder to Sandwich Bay to survey for the very rare Dainty Damselfly which had been seen the previous year in small numbers. Having never seen this species before, I was totally excited to see a new species and the day did not disappoint as we saw c30 Dainty Damselfly. Despite them spending most of their time out over the water, I was able to obtain a few images with one in particular coming out quite well. Whilst photographing a pair egg laying a couple of metres away, I accidentally captured another pair flying past in the background. It may not be the sharpest of images but certainly one of my favourite shots this year.

Dainty Damselfly (Coenagrion scitulum) pair ovipositing


Better was to come with this species in June which I shall talk about in my next photo installment. Late May saw the first of my beloved Norfolk Hawkers emerge and many hours were spent photographing them during June. Whilst I look forward to all species emerging, Norfolk Hawkers are quite special to me and one of my 'must see and photograph' species to see every year.

Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isosceles) - male

I could have added many other photos but hope you have had a feel for some of the special times I had during April and May. My next installment in due coarse will look at June, July and August, busy months for the odonata enthusiast but most welcome in these testing of times. 

7 comments:

  1. I have much enjoyed being reminded of your fabulous odonata photography, Marc, and the wonderful range of species that you have photographed too! Be patient - next summer is on its way! Stay safe - best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Always nice to look back on what has been achieved throughout the year. It wasn't all bad thankfully. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Many thanks Agnieszka for your visit and comment. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing photo's Marc. You have had a far better year than I've had. Take care, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Mike. It's not all been bad thankfully and I've managed a few pleasing images this year. Take care.

      Delete