Wednesday 21 October 2020

Hanging On!

With a small window of sunshine last Sunday afternoon, I made an hours visit to Nethergong to see what was still flying. There are not many weeks left of the season now and numbers seem to be slowly dropping but despite this, it was pleasing to find 12 Common Darter, 12 Migrant Hawker and 11 Willow Emerald Damselfly. There were a few areas where the wind was blowing a bit which I didn't search which may have yielded a few more but I hope to get another chance before the month ends if the weather allows. I'm hopeful if the conditions are better to find a few more Willow Emerald Damselfly as last year, I saw an individual in the second week of November but it very much depends of the weather. I spent some time looking for a few photo opportunities and after a bit of searching, was rewarded with a Migrant Hawker and Willow Emerald Damselfly in a nice autumnal setting. Fingers crossed this is not my last sighting this year and with next week off work, it would be nice to be able to enjoy one last session with my beloved Willow Emerald Damselflies. 





Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) - male





Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - male


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful Migrant Hawker images and the Willow Emerald Damselfly, fantastic Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. They do stand out well in the sunshine and have a nice autumnal feel about them. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Great shots, with super light and colours, Marc. I hope that these are not your last of the season - I suspect that I've already had my last with the cold temperatures we're getting now.

    Take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I'm hoping with my week off next week that I get a window to go and check if they are still about. Just seeing one will make my day. Think we are in for a wet winter! Take care.

      Delete
  3. Sorry Marc,
    My computer seems to have been asleep for a couple of days. Beautiful shots as usual. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. I fear these may be the last ones I see this year looking at the forecast to come. Take care.

      Delete
  4. so beautiful, need very good ability to get photos like that. cool

    ReplyDelete