Sunday 6 December 2020

2020 Odonata Highlights (June - July)

June

June and July are some of my best months to be out watching and photographing dragonflies and damselflies. There are a good range of species now on the wing and to be honest, there is normally not enough time to see them all. However as this year has been somewhat different, I  along with everyone else has generally had to stay local to our area. Having said that, I did manage a few visits to others places in the county and spent many hours watching and enjoying a few species which I have not encountered for a few years. June started off where May ended and I was lucky to be able to go back to Sandwich Bay to survey for Dainty Damselflies where we found and incredible 180. As we walked around the small pool, the nearby vegetation was littered with mating Dainties and I set about trying to capture a few pleasing photos. The hardest bit was trying to get a pair I could creep up on which provided a pleasing uncluttered background. Eventually, I could see my shot working out and took a number of photos of these little stunners.


Dainty Damselfly (Coenagrion scitulum) - mating pair

My next objective was to photograph a male showing the necessary features well. Sitting patiently at the waters edge worked out well as a male landed nearby and enabled me to fire off a number of shots. A most memorable day indeed.

Dainty Damselfly (Coenagrion scitulum) - male

 A few visits to Nethergong in sunny warm conditions produced a few Hairy Dragonflies and it was nice to capture a few on camera showing off those lovely colours on this species.

Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense) - male

 The first Common Darters started emerging mid May and on a dewy morning, I was walking around the pond at Nethergong on the look out for any resting dragonflies. I found a few Common Darters and spent some time photographing one at rest with dew on it head, body and wings. Such views in nature are hard to turn down (which I didn't) and a few photos were taken before the sun warmed up too much.

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) - teneral male

The first Emerald Damselflies were also emerging quite early this year compared to other years and I managed to find one at rest face on with some Grape Hyacinths in the background. Being quite early in the morning, I was able to set up the tripod and take a few photos knowing my subject was not going to fly off straight away.

Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa) 

Late June saw me make a number of visit to Nethergong, Grove Ferry and Westbere in search of Norfolk Hawkers, one of my favourite photogenic species to see every year. It was just brilliant at times to look along dykes to see a good number through the binoculars as far as the eye could see. As ever, many photos of this species were taken but on one occasion, I was able to find a spot and sit down at the waters edge where a male was patrolling and landing occasionally against the lush green of the reeds. This provided a nice contrast to the brown colours of the Norfolk Hawker and many nice photos were captured.


Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isosceles) - male

Late June saw a few Black tailed Skimmer emerging at Nethergong. They are normally very skittish and hard to approach so another early morning session produced a good opportunity when I found a resting male early on. Always nice to photograph this species and not on the floor for once. 

Black tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) - male

July

What a month July was. A busy few sessions were had around the county where early on, I photographed one of my best emergences yet. I had a few Emperor Dragonfly nymphs in my pond which looked like they were going to emerge. With some careful planning, I was able to one night photograph the whole emergence in the darkness of this stunning insect. The photos turned out better than I could have wished for and hopefully show off this dragonfly emerging well during the hours of darkness when most of us are asleep.

Emperor Dragonfly (Anax imperator) emerging

With some Southern Emerald Damselflies being seen at Cliffe Marshes which I had not seen for several years, I arranged to meet up with Frank Cackett after work one evening to see this species. After a search in quite breezy conditions, we soon found the first of several seen and it was great again to be able to study this species and take a few photos. A most worthwhile few hours spent in excellent company.

Southern Emerald Damselfly (Lestes barbarus) - female

Anyone knowing well will know I spend a lot of time with the Nethergong Willow Emerald Damselfly colony (nearly 400 seen this year on one day) and it was nice find one early morning on the 18th July resting on a flower near the waters edge. Again at this time of the day, I was able to not rush and enjoy the challenge of capturing a few head one photos.

Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) 

It's been many years since I last saw a Lesser Emperor Dragonfly so in late July, I was able to drive to west Kent and meet up with another enthusiast who showed me the location where a few had been seen recently. After a walk around a lake looking, we eventually found up to 3 males and with some patience, one male come to rest which allowed me to stalk through the reeds and fire off a few shots.

Lesser Emperor Dragonfly (Anax parthenope) - male

Back in east Kent and the Southern Migrant Hawkers had another generally good year and back at Sandwich Bay, I spent a few sessions capturing this most colourful of dragonflies. It's hard not to get excited about this species when it perches and the next few weeks saw many photos being taken.

Southern Migrant Hawker (Aeshna affinis) - male

Also at Sandwich Bay, a few Red veined Darters were seen and on my way back to the car, I spent a while searching and was rewarded with a few males which posed for shots.

Red veined Darter (Sympetrum fonscolombii) - male

A thoroughly enjoyable and hectic few months but most rewarding both from a watching and studying point of view and with the camera too. It was also nice to see Southern Emerald Damselfly, Red veined Darter and Lesser Emperor Dragonfly after not seeing them for several years. My next installment will look at August, September and October which I shall post in due coarse. 

7 comments:

  1. Many thanks for your kind words Agnieszka. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, didn't he do so beautiful. Love all of them, but, the Dainty Damselfly, wonderful Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Already looking forward to the warmer weather next year

      Delete
  3. A wonderful reminder of your fabulous photography, Marc. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Covid situation improves for us all as I have just counted and realise that, without the ability to travel freely, I have only seen six of those species this year!

    Stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Let's all hope that next year gives us a bit more freedom to spread our wings a little further. Despite the tough year, I'm very thankful for what I saw. Fingers crossed for next year. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Amazing as usual Marc. With seasonal subjects like yours it good to have work like that to fall back on. Stay safe.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind words Mike. Plenty of exuviae to photograph in my warm conservatory during the next few months and probably a few excursions to ponds for some dipping too if they don't freeze over. Take care.

      Delete