Thursday 9 October 2014

From This to This!

The last few sessions have seen me looking for dragonfly and damselfly nymphs with some success. I have spent a few hours at Nethergong campsite where I have caught a good number of Emperor Dragonfly nymphs and seem to have got to grips with the id of this species. I have also found a couple of Hairy Dragonfly nymphs there and unlike some of the other Hawker nymphs which are quite hard to separate, these are quite straight forward, their small eyes making identification a little bit easier. Along with a good number of damselfly larvae which are quite hard to separate but after looking at some through a magnifying  glass today and scrutinising the cadal lamellae, the 3 tails, I think I have been catching Blue tailed Damselflies judging by the tail pattern. I have also caught a few Broad bodied Chaser or so I think they are, not the easiest to photograph as they are often muddy which clings to their hairs. Its been very interesting so far and a little fun I must admit, sticking a net into the water and wondering whats going to be caught. There is so much to learn, not only identifying the adults but also the nymphs which all dragonflies spend most of their lives as. I'm hoping to catch a few other hawker nymphs as winter approaches and am already preparing for a pond to go into the garden in the next few weeks where hopefully a few dragonflies will visit next year. For most people its the adult dragonflies that catch the eye during the warmer months but I thought I would post a few shots of not only the nymphs but what superb little dragonflies emerge from them. During sunny spells the last few days I am still seeing Common Darters and Migrant Hawkers on the wing, no doubt a look in the right areas should produce a few Willow Emerald Damselflies.

Hairy Dragonfly Nymph 

Hairy Dragonfly 

Broad bodied Chaser Nymph 

Broad bodied Chaser

3 comments:

  1. Here now and forever, brilliant photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to have found your niche in wildlife studies Marc, well done, are you publishing this stuff anywhere. The Kent Field Club would probably enjoy seeing your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Derek. I only publish here, on my website and a few photos on Flickr and occasionally Birdguides in the hope that one day someone will see them and give me a break so I can do this for a job ( I think I'm dreaming there) I've not sent anything to the field club, I shall investigate.

      Delete