Friday 10 October 2014

Still a Few on the Wing

As it was quite sunny late afternoon I thought I had better pop over to Reculver to see if I could find any dragonflies on the wing. I have been quite preoccupied of late with photographing larvae and with the dragonfly season closing in fast I thought I had better try to get a few photos before they all disappear. Although quite windy it was pleasing to see c15 Common Blue Damselfly still on the wing. I tried for a few shots but they just kept on getting blown around so I moved on where I heard some wings beating low down and out flew a male Southern Hawker. It had a brief fly around and looked like it wanted to land again but unfortunately vanished in between trees not to be seen again, still a nice sight at the end of the season to see. There were a few Migrant Hawker on the wing but you couldn't help but see plenty of Common Darter on the wing. I'm sure iv'e completely underestimated the number but I saw about 30. There appeared to be a good number in the ploughed fields so I can only the guess the number was actually much higher. Walking back and scanning the trees was rewarded with a single Willow Emerald Damselfly which didn't hang around long. I'm sure there are still quite a few around but it really needs a still day with sunshine to see them flying around the bushes. Not a long session but still rewarding to see a few species on the wing.


Willow Emerald Damselfly

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant Marc, it was a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just about had it here for the Odonata Marc, saw a pair of Common Darters in tandem today, but that was it.

    ReplyDelete