Monday, 17 August 2026

Red Veined Breeding Success!

It was only a few months ago that I first found a few Red veined Darter on one of the pools in the Nethergong area. Despite searching, I couldn't find any females at the time but hoped that there were some around to breed. Jump forward to the weekend where I was out in rather cloudy conditions and checking the grasses around the pools for any dragonflies or damselflies when I suddenly flushed quite a yellow dragonfly in front of me which soon landed. I already had my suspicions and was pleased to see a teneral female Red veined Darter. They had bred! With this find, I then spent the next hour carefully walking through the grasses where I managed to see 7 Red veined Darter, 6 teneral and 1 adult male. Although the light was quite challenging, I managed to take a number of photos of this first for the area. To prove breeding, I then spent some time looking in the vegetation where I manged to find at least 10 Red veined Darter exuviae. I'm sure there are more to emerge and some that I have already missed. Hopefully I can get back in the next few days for another look but what a local result to have these beauties breeding on the patch. I wonder whether they will mature up on site and lay their eggs for next year or leave the site and return south. It's certainly been a treat to have them this year.  























Red veined Darter - teneral female


Red veined Darter - male

6 comments:

  1. Hi Marc, beautiful serie of this insects. I don't see many because I walk not much. Have a nice day. Greets Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Caroline. Really pleasing to have this species breeding this year. Such a stunner when emerged. Take.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Much appreciated Sami. Hope you are well. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to have been neglecting you and your dragons of late Marc. One excuse is that unfortunately Kent Dragonflies doesn't have feed, and so your link in my sidebar on Birds2blog stays at the bottom of my blogs list and not updated. But anyhow, I'm here now to admire your excellent set of the stunning Red-veined Darter.

    Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not good to hear but glad you have looked in. I thought you was on a protest!! Been very lucky to have this species on the local patch this year. A cracker of a species to photograph. Take care.

      Delete