Friday 9 August 2024

Hawking About!

It's been a very busy time of late trying to fit everything in but I have managed a few sessions where I have bumped into a few species during my walks. Whilst out birding last week, I came across a Norfolk Hawker warming up in the early morning sunshine and with a bit of patience and fieldcraft, I was able to move in and get a few pleasing photos. Not too long after, I went and checked an area to see if the male Southern Migrant Hawker was on territory but despite the warmth, I couldn't find it although it was still early in the day. I decided to then check the vegetation nearby and soon saw a bright blue dragonfly standing out amongst the green foliage. Again, I moved in slowly taking a few photos each time before moving a little nearer. It just goes to show with a bit of luck and patience and checking various habitats, the dragonflies can be found and it was certainly pleasing to find both of these species. Ten years ago, they both would have been major rarities but we seem to take them for granted now. It does seem that some species are doing well as the world slowly warms up. I wonder in ten years time what new species we will be seeing more regularly?











Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isosceles) - male











Southern Migrant Hawker (Aeshna affinis) - male


4 comments:

  1. A few sightings of the Norfolk's in North Lancashire recently, Blackpool and Brockholes near Preston for example. Images at your usual standard Marc. Great stuff in my book.

    Regards...Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks again Pete for your kind word. Appreciated as always. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Stunning captures of these cratures.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your visit Roos. They certainly are a delight to capture. Take care.

      Delete