Sunday 4 July 2021

It's Nearly Time!

It's getting round to one of the most exciting times of the year for me when the Willow Emerald Damselflies start to emerge so with this in mind, I spent an hour last weekend making my first walk alongside the waters edge at the stream hoping for an early individual. Unfortunately none were seen which I thought might be the case so instead, I went and got the net and tray and decided to have a while netting at various points to see if any nymphs could be found and if so, what kind of stage they were at. In an hours netting I managed to net 105 Willow Emerald Damselfly nymphs with only about 30% looking nearly fully grown so they have a while to go yet. I normally expect to see my first adult in the second week of July so fingers crossed some are emerging then. Yesterday (Saturday) I made an early morning visit to Nethergong to once again walk along the waters edge looking for early Willow Emerald Damselflies but despite a good search, I didn't see any. Netting in another part of the ditch produced another 60+ Willow Emerald Damselfly nymphs which looks encouraging for when they emerge. I did spend a while at one of the ponds where c30 Common Darter were seen emerging and making their maiden flights and despite the dull skies, I managed a few shots of them with their pristine wings. In the long grasses c10 Emerald Damselfly were noted along with Blue tailed and Azure Damselflies. Weather permitting, hopefully next weekend will see the first Willow Emerald Damselflies emerging and once again, I can reacquaint myself with one of my favourite species.  


Blue tailed Damselflies (Ischnura elegans)










Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) - teneral males








Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa) - female

12 comments:

  1. Brilliant stuff Marc. Each time I see your work, I think you're at the top of your game, but you always prove me wrong emphatically.

    Take Care

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete for your kind words. I think the change in camera and slight improvement in the quality has helped here. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Hello Marc, indeed the season has started. The photos are stunning. Great to be able to see so much details.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Roos and thanks for your kind words. Much appreciated. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. The Emerald Damselfly is the best, love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Surprised they came out so well considering the lack of light. Take care.

      Delete
  4. The tandem/mating shot is a great spot. Incredible to think the Willow will soon be out. The Summer doesn't seem to have started yet and here we are with Autumnal species starting and almost all the butterflies out as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Just getting into it and the autumn species are appearing already. Won't be long until Christmas now!

      Delete
  5. That first shot is more than a little interesting, Marc! I particularly like those Emerald Damselfly shots too. Brilliant work. Stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Just seem to be getting the hang of this camera now and producing a few better shots. Take care.

      Delete
  6. Hi Marc,
    Wonderful stuff and so imformative too. I wish some could fly into my garden and give me something else to do. Take care,
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. Do you have a pond? A good sized pond will increase your chances of much more wildlife to the area and hopefully a bit of photography. If not pop out to your local lake. Bound to be plenty to see there. Take care.

      Delete