Thursday 3 June 2021

A Day with the Dainties

I was able to spend 3 hours at Sandwich Bay today where my time was spent surveying for the nationally rare Dainty Damselfly. Arriving just after midday, I had a brief chat with the warden Steffan who informed me that he had seen around 50 Dainty Damselfly slightly earlier. After a walk to the pool concerned, I had a walk around the perimeter where nearly ever step produced teneral damselflies flying up from the vegetation. I must have seen over 100 flying out and no doubt a proportion of them will be newly emerged Dainty Damselflies. With most of the activity over the water being pretty quiet, it was the grasses which produced most for me and in my search, I must have seen around 40 Dainty Damselfly, mostly males with only the odd female seen and just the one mating pair. No doubt in a weeks time, there will be many more back at the pool and i'm sure the total from last year will be matched or surpassed this year. With a stiff wind making photography a challenge, I spent some time finding sheltering males which I was able to slowly move in on and take a number of shots. Once you get your eye in with them, their size alone helps to eliminate the Azure Damselflies. After taking a number of photos, I spent some time just studying their features and enjoying being in their company. There's probably not many people today in the UK  that have spent their afternoon in the company of Britain's rarest damselfly. After a sit down for some lunch, I spent some time at the waters edge collecting likely exuviae which I shall study at home under a microscope and hope some are Dainty Damselfly exuviae. With the sun slowly wearing me down I decided to call it a day and made my way back to the car. Also seen today were 1 Emperor Dragonfly, 2 Hairy dragonfly, 1 Four spotted Chaser, 2 Variable Damselfly and a few Blue tailed and Azure Damselfly. If time allows, I would like to get back for another session with them this year but if not, what a little stunning damselfly to see again and fingers crossed for their continued expansion at Sandwich. 








Dainty Damselfly (Coenagrion scitulum) - male


Dainty Damselfly (Coenagrion scitulum) - newly emerged female


7 comments:

  1. Your photos are beautiful Marc and I have found it really helpful to be able to see such superb views of a Dainty Damselfly. The photo of the newly emerged female is incredible with the almost transparent abdomen. Thanks very much Marc. Take care and I hope that you have a good weekend, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Chris for your kind words. It was great catching up with them again. A stunning Damselfly to study. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I hope a few head this way in the next few years. Some great shots Marc and good to hear the colony is doing very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Fingers crossed that there will be plenty this year. The signs are good. I hope they continue to spread and start new colonies in the next few years. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely stunning, the Dainty Damselfly is one I haven't seen, thanks Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely stuff Marc, I wish I had somewhere like that close to me. My legs won't allow me to venture too far but I get a lot of pleasure seeing what you and others get up to. Stay safe.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful images, Marc, of a species that I suspect that I will never see. I'm delighted to know that the colony seems to be doing so well. I hope you do manage that return visit. Take good care - - - Ricvhard

    ReplyDelete