Monday 22 June 2020

Green Eyed Beauties

Although we have been blessed with some lovely sunshine in the past few weeks, it seems that most of my sessions have been hampered with some quite breezy winds. This has proved quite a challenge when trying to photograph Norfolk Hawkers in flight and as of yet, most of my attempts this year have been disappointing to say the least. I made another attempt yesterday afternoon and again, the winds were blowing quite strong on arrival which meant that any attempts at photographing flight shots were soon dashed. The particular ditch I like to photograph flight shots from is rather open but with vegetation quite low, there are ample opportunities to search for likely targets but with the wind howling through, I decided to search in some of the other more vegetated areas where it would be more sheltered. In a few hours searching I managed to find 13 Norfolk Hawker which included a mating pair seen in flight and an ovipositing female which I managed to get a few shots of through peering through the reeds. The camera was thankfully kept busy and I managed to take a number of pleasing shots of this species which I just can't get enough of. With their season well under way, a few are already showing signs of wear and tear but a few pristine individuals are still to be found. I also managed to see a few Black tailed Skimmer, Four spotted Chaser and Emperor Dragonfly too. With some hot weather and lighter winds this week, I'm hopeful of a few after work visits to see whether I can at last capture a few pleasing flight shots of a Norfolk Hawker before their time is up. Fingers crossed that my perseverance might pay off.
 

Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isosceles) - ovipositing female
 




Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isosceles) - male
 


9 comments:

  1. Many thanks Agnieszka. They certainly are. Making the most of them before their season is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wonderful images show what a fabulous dragonfly the Norfolk Hawker is, Marc. Sadly, it's a species that I'll not be seeing this year. Fingers are crossed for better times next year!

    Take great care and stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. As I'm sure you know, this is a species I really love photographing. I would go as far as saying I'm obsessed by them. Plenty more shots of these to come!

      Delete
  3. Well above your usual standard Marc. I cannot compete as I only have my old faithfulls visiting my garden at night. I did see my first swift of the year today so there is still a chance for me. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. Old faithfulls or not, they're certainly welcome animals I would love to watch in my garden. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Those eyes, beautiful. The Norfolk Hawkers are wonderful Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bob. It's those eyes which get me every time. Can't help but keep going back for more.

      Delete
  5. 송파오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐송파마사지⟐송파안마⟐송파유흥⟐송파휴게텔⟐송파풀싸롱⟐송파키스방⟐송파건마⟐송파리얼돌⟐송파출장안마⟐송파룸싸롱⟐송파OP

    ReplyDelete
  6. 종로오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐종로마사지⟐종로안마⟐종로유흥⟐종로휴게텔⟐종로풀싸롱⟐종로키스방⟐종로건마⟐종로리얼돌⟐종로출장안마⟐종로룸싸롱⟐종로OP

    ReplyDelete