Tuesday 16 June 2020

Early Emeralds

Whilst at the pond at Nethergong over the weekend I was surprised to see a few early Emerald Damselfly in the long grasses which had obviously recently emerged from the pond. I also netted an Emerald Damselfly nymph which confirms that they are breeding in this pond, the first time I have seen them breeding in this area of the site. With the sun still hiding behind the trees but not long off shining on the grasses, I decided to set up the tripod and take a few images of the Emerald Damselfly. The damselfly was resting nicely on some Lavender and by the time I had the camera ready, the sun was just about shining on the area which showed off the damselfly nicely. I spent quite a while taking a number of images from different angles, hoping that it would not fly off but she seemed quite content resting. With a number of photos taken and with the sun warming up the area, she finally flew off over the water. It would seem that at this site, the Emerald Damselfly has emerged nearly 2 weeks earlier than normal and this makes me wonder whether the Willow Emerald Damselfly will also emerge earlier at this site. I normally expect to see my first during the second week of July so it will be interesting to see what happens next month.
 







Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa) - female


8 comments:

  1. Absolutely superb photography, Marc, with wonderful detail. I've never seen the three 'secondary eyes' so clearly shown. Brilliant!

    Take great care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. It does make a difference if you can get the camera on the tripod and get in close in good light. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Hi Marc,
    Yet more photographs up to your usual standard. BRILLIANT. Stay safe. Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. I like the combination of colours here and think it works really well with the subject. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Excellent Marc. Hope to see a few of these, but my local colony seems to have been lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob. Luckily I have a stable colony a few minutes from home. Would swap a couple for a Large Tortoiseshell though.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely stunning the Emerald Damselfly, so cool Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Some days, you win the battle. Think this was one of those days.

      Delete