Monday 19 August 2019

A Taste of the South!

After finishing birding at Reculver yesterday (Sunday), I made an hours visit to Nethergong where the sun was shining quite nicely and there was only a slight breeze. Arriving at 9am which is still quite early to find most of the odonata, I spent my time on the eastern side of the site where most of the sun was and managed to find 74 Willow Emerald Damselfly with a few posing nicely for photos which I duly obliged.
 

Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - male 



Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - female
 
1 Southern Hawker was also flushed but landed again shortly and after creeping up slowly, I was in a position to rattle off a few shots and spend some time studying the quite superb colours on this species.
 

Southern Hawker (Aeshna cyanea) - male
 
One day I will find this species without all the clutter of the background and take a few desirable photos as I seem too with this species. Also seen were 5 Migrant Hawker and a few Ruddy Darter before I left for home at around 10am. I'm hoping for a later visit at some point this week if the weather allows and I can get out at the right time to once again, have a count of the Willow Emerald Damselfly and see if I can maybe get a photo or two of them in tandem or mating... or just a pleasing photo of them will do nicely. Fingers crossed for blue skies and light winds.
 


Southern Hawker (Aeshna cyanea) - male
 


8 comments:

  1. green dragonfly looks so beautiful..
    Great shots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Tanza. Up close, the colours really are a sight to see.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, the Willow Emerald Damselfly is beautiful Marc, and the Southern Hawker is brilliant, so close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. The Hawker let me get quite close which was nice. Great to be able to study all the details at close range.

      Delete
  3. Good stuff once again Marc. I'm still struggling to find subjects to photograph. I think I will take up photographing lorries they outnumber birds 1000-1 around in Sussex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. I look forward to seeing you lorry shots. Shouldn't be able to miss that with the camera.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful, Marc - I particularly love No.3! Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Lots more to hopefully come of these species in the next week or so... if they play ball!

      Delete