Wednesday 6 February 2019

Black tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) Nymph

Last weekend whilst dipping at Grove Ferry, as well as catching 2 Southern Hawker nymphs, I also caught what I thought was a Chaser nymph but wasn't quite sure if it may have been a Black tailed Skimmer nymph. I decided to bring the nymph back home with me where the plan was to study the nymph in greater detail to identify it and take some photos before returning the nymph back to the area I found it. One of the first features I looked for was the small yellow fleck which is normally present on both sides of the labial mask which are features on Chaser nymphs. A look through the lens revealed no such mark which then got me thinking that perhaps I had caught a Black tailed Skimmer nymph. This would indeed be a new nymph for me so I then continued looking for features to confirm my suspicions. The shallow serrations on the labial palps ruled out Broad bodied Chaser but not Four spotted Chaser, but the eyes not reaching above the top of the head on the Four spotted Chaser meant this species could also be ruled out. Add to this that both the Broad bodied and Four spotted Chaser also show a quite prominent dorsal spine on S7 and S8 whereas my nymph seemed to show no dorsal spines on S7 and S8. I was now pretty sure I had indeed caught my first Black tailed Skimmer nymph so after finishing photographing the Southern Hawker nymphs, I then spent a while trying to capture some of the features on the nymph which can hopefully be seen in the following photos. I have a few more areas to check out at Grove Ferry in the next few weeks which may yield more Black tailed Skimmer nymphs as well as updating some Broad bodied Chaser nymphs photos, but will also hopefully at some point bump into a Small Red eyed Damselfly nymph... if I'm lucky and keep netting.

  Black tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) nymph showing
 fairly rectangular shaped head
 
  Black tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) nymph showing
 fairly rectangular shaped head
 
 Black tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) nymph - top view
 

  Black tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) nymph - top view
 

 Black tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) nymph showing
shallow serrations to the Labial Palps
 
 Black tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) nymph - top view
 

  Black tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) nymph showing
 lack of dorsal spines on S7 and S8
 
 Black tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) nymph showing shallow
 serrations to the Labial Palps
 
 Black tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) nymph - side view
 
 Black tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) nymph showing
 lack of dorsal spines on S7 and S8

Black tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) nymph showing
lack of dorsal spines on S7 and S8


7 comments:

  1. Thank you for another superbly illustrated guide to dragonfly nymph identification, Marc. I'm very much looking forward to the start of the season, and hoping to travel to get some 'firsts'. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I've certainly been learning alot myself with some of these species. Can't wait to get out again. Every dip is a 'what have I got this time' feeling.

      Delete
  2. Your close-ups are very good Marc, an occasional smile they would look even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. I'm sure in their own little way they are smiling. Probably just as some prey comes to close!

      Delete
  3. The time & effort you must put in Marc is extraordinary. To capture all the features you mention on the BTS nymph must have taken some doing..... and patience. The images you have captured there are fantastic. Your enthusiasm shines through, as it did when I met you. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Johnny for your kind words. Yes, it does take a bit of patience to get all the right angles for the shots required but well worth the education I receive when finding the features from which I also learn from. Always amazed that this underwater world of existence goes mostly unnoticed to the many. I hope I bring some of this to life.

      Delete
  4. your images captured the great details, include lack of dorsal spines...
    Have a wonderful sunny day

    ReplyDelete