Sunday 3 June 2018

A 'Brilliant' Day at Thursley Common

Having visited Thursley Common already a few weeks back to photograph the emergence of the Downy Emeralds and collect a few exuviae, I decided to make a return visit to see whether I could find any emerging Brilliant Emeralds and possibly, an exuviae or too for my collection. This is a nationally rare dragonfly and I have only had one experience with this species a few years ago at Bedgebury in west Kent so was very much looking forward to seeing this species again. Having seen some had been reported in the past week emerging and with the weather forecast not looking too bad for yesterday (Saturday), I left home around 4am and arrived at 5:45am into a not surprising empty car park. After having a bite to eat and drink, I made my way to the moat and checked out an area where I had seen the Downy Emeralds emerging a few weeks ago. I could see plenty of exuviae as I scanned the low grasses but most seemed to be Four spotted Chaser and Downy Emeralds still mixed in with lots of damselfly exuviae. Laying out on a lily pad was a large hawker exuviae which I managed to collect and I'm fairly sure it's a Brown Hawker exuviae. I will have to check this but if so, that a new one for the collection. I left the area and decided to have a wander around the perimeter of the moat lake checking various areas as I went. I wasn't long until I found a nymph climbing through some grasses which I left alone but remembered where as I would return later. As I continued on, I entered a very shady areas with trees growing over the top and long grasses on the edge of the water. I spent some time looking through here and eventually was rewarded with the first of 6 BRILLIANT EMERALDS today clinging on to its exuviae. I think I might have even done a fist pump at this time! Being in a shady area, photos were hard to obtain and using flash didn't seem to work that well. I had left my diffuser at home but took some anyway and just sat back and marvelled at my best views of this species.
 

Brilliant Emerald (Somatochlora metallica) Emerging
 
It wasn't long until he warmed up and flew up high into the pines to rest up. A little further along a few Downy Emeralds were now flying, c12 seen today and as I sat and tried for a flight photo, I suddenly become aware of two more Brilliant Emeralds clinging onto their exuviae. However this time, one was a female showing the long vulvar scale at the end of the abdomen. I had wanted to see a female of this species so was now totally chuffed. Again photos were awkward in these areas but a few were taken anyway and a few more exuviae collected.
 
 Brilliant Emerald (Somatochlora metallica) Emerging

Brilliant Emerald (Somatochlora metallica) Exuviae
 
As the day warmed up, I continued searching and then I struck brilliant gold... or green. I found a female Brilliant Emerald resting up on a Yellow Iris in the sunshine where I was able to study this stunner and take a number of photos before she flew off high into the pines to mature up.
 

Brilliant Emerald (Somatochlora metallica) - female showing vulvar scale


Brilliant Emerald (Somatochlora metallica) - teneral female
 
Searching produced a few more Brilliant Emeralds including a smart male resting low down which allowed a few more photo opportunities, as well as emerging Four spotted Chasers.
 



Brilliant Emerald (Somatochlora metallica) - teneral male
 
Add to this, good numbers of Large Red, Common Blue, Blue tailed and Red eyed Damselflies and there was plenty to see. I could have spent all day here but with 6 hours spent on site and a superb experience seeing these rare dragonflies up close and taking a number of photos, I regrettably walked back to the car... a very happy man indeed. I may well return again soon to see whether I can see them in flight around the moat lake and try for a few photos as well as seeing some of the other species this site has to offer. 2018 so far is being very kind to me and with the Willow Emerald Damselfly season just around the corner, I hope the good times continue.
 




Brilliant Emerald (Somatochlora metallica) - teneral female


11 comments:

  1. Brilliant photos of the Brilliant Emerald Marc, you can always tell your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. An awesome day watching and photographing this species. Hopefully I might see some but this far exceeded my expectations.

      Delete
  2. With those jewel colors each photo is a work of art. How considerate of that female to pose on the iris(?) bud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Wilma. Certainly one of my highlights this year. The female emerged lower down on the Iris and as she warmed up, moved up the stem. If she hasn't, I would never had known she was there. I did collect the exuviae for my collection.

      Delete
  3. That was a day you won't forget in a hurry!! It certainly is Dragonfly heaven at Thursley!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed heaven. After living 2-3 years underwater as a nymph, its always magical to watch them emerge and make their maiden flights as adults.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Many thanks Maria. Much appreciated. It was definitely a day I won't forget for a long while.

      Delete
  5. If wasn't such a pain to get to, Marc, your fabulous images would be tempting me back to Thursley Common. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Another superb experience. So far, 2018 is treating me very well.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Superb images Marc, absolutely superb! I’ve never visited but maybe now is the time, are you able to give advice on which area to visit and where to park? Congrats on the images. Thanks Ron Baber Ron.baber@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete