I had a trip over to Nethergong today and whilst there, I thought I would see what dragonflies were flying around the pools. Migrant Hawkers were everywhere and at least 200 were seen, probably a lot more. Blue tailed, Common Blue Damselflies and lots of Common Darter were also still numerous. As I walked through the long grasses, I kept my eyes peeled for Red veined Darters and it wasn't long until I found the first of 3 Red veined Darter seen today, all immature males. I didn't have the Sigma 150mm macro so used the Canon f4 300m lens and with a bit of patience and fieldcraft, I was able to get in quite close for some photos in good light. Most literature suggests that the second generation fly south when they emerge so I wonder when they will be off and where they will end up? A daunting migration across the seas await them. I will have a look in a few days again but what a privilege to have had them on the local patch this year. I hope they return again next year.







No comments:
Post a Comment