It was only a few months ago that I first found a few Red veined Darter on one of the pools in the Nethergong area. Despite searching, I couldn't find any females at the time but hoped that there were some around to breed. Jump forward to the weekend where I was out in rather cloudy conditions and checking the grasses around the pools for any dragonflies or damselflies when I suddenly flushed quite a yellow dragonfly in front of me which soon landed. I already had my suspicions and was pleased to see a teneral female Red veined Darter. They had bred! With this find, I then spent the next hour carefully walking through the grasses where I managed to see 7 Red veined Darter, 6 teneral and 1 adult male. Although the light was quite challenging, I managed to take a number of photos of this first for the area. To prove breeding, I then spent some time looking in the vegetation where I manged to find at least 10 Red veined Darter exuviae. I'm sure there are more to emerge and some that I have already missed. Hopefully I can get back in the next few days for another look but what a local result to have these beauties breeding on the patch. I wonder whether they will mature up on site and lay their eggs for next year or leave the site and return south. It's certainly been a treat to have them this year.









No comments:
Post a Comment