Sunday 8 October 2023

Autumn Specials

With the weather feeling quite hot over the weekend, I thought I would spend a couple of hours yesterday looking to see what dragonflies and damselflies were still on the wing at Nethergong. With the trees and bushes starting to show the colours of autumn and leaves starting to fall, a few Common Darters were enjoying the sunshine on the floor and were quite hard to pick out unless you accidently flushed them. A single Southern Hawker was seen patrolling low through the trees. Migrant Hawkers were still around and enjoying the number of small flies on the wing but most of my attention was spent watching and photographing the Willow Emerald Damselflies which were still quite numerous, not that surprising really given the weather conditions of late. If the weather continues like this, they will happily make it into late November and maybe, early December. I found a few individuals which were posing nicely and showing off their autumnal colours and settled in to get a few images. What was a little more challenging was trying to either get a clear background or some autumn colours in the background. It was simply pleasant to sit in the warm sunshine really and just watch them go about their lives. It would be nice to think I can have a few more sessions with them this year before their time is over. 























Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - male

7 comments:

  1. Based on the fair weather and your successes here, I may get off to see if I can find the odd Black or Red Darter tomorrow (Monday), the latter more likely than the former. But certainly won't be finding a Willow Emerald, and probably not a Southern Hawker up here in't north. The usual excellence in your images Marc.

    Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Pete. Many thanks. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Those Willow Emeralds look fabulous in their bronzed condition, Marc, and you have captured them beautifully.

    Went out myself this afternoon and only found Common Darter (quite a few) and Migrant Hawker (four males). Managed better shots of the darters than I did of the hawkers. Must try nad find Willow Emerald as I've not decently connected with one this year!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly turned colder down south now so we have to hope for a few warmer days from now on I think. Hopefully a few will survive a while yet. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Hello Marc, Nice to see you active with some cracking pictures. Sorry I am a bit behind with my comment but I put my animals first in my old age. Take care,
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for your visit Mike. Much appreciated. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so devastated when my business was going down due to financial situation until I found Mr Pedro and his working loan company website then I contacted them via Email: cf-loans@outlook.com  and Telegram / whatsapp +393510140339 then I was given a terms and conditions on how there loans works, I was happy because they willing to fund my business with the amount of 86,000.00 Pounds with a loan repayment of 2% annual return to expand my business. The whole process was so transparent and swift. Gracias.
    I will recommend them as a professional loan lenders.

    ReplyDelete