Sunday 10 September 2023

Late Southerns in the Sun

A few weeks ago a few Southern Emerald Damselfly were found at a new site at Seasalter in North Kent and being a nationally rare damselfly, I was keen to have a visit and see them for myself. Yesterday I met up with Mark Chidwick who watches this area and we were able to find 2 Southern Emerald Damselfly, a male and a female which were in a suitable area where they may possibly breed or indeed may have already bred last year. This however we do not know and it is hoped that they may have already mated and egg layed in the pool which has now completely dried up but fills with water during the winter months. as far as I'm aware, 3 have been seen there in the past few weeks. It will be interesting to see whether any appear next year at this location. With sun and very hot conditions, I was able to spend some time capturing a few pleasing images of this lovely species which can be identified by their bi-coloured pterostigma on the wings. It would be nice to think that this species can slowly spread in the county as there are only a few other sites for this species. I look forward to hopefully a visit next year where fingers crossed, they manage to emerge and continue to build in number. 














Southern Emerald Damselfly (Lestes barbarus) - female








Southern Emerald Damselfly (Lestes barbarus) - male

9 comments:

  1. Well done Marc. I suppose it is something I'm not likely to see. Take care. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not Mike as they are nationally rare. You never know, maybe one day they will appear in better numbers around the country. In the mean time, I will bring you the photos. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Great shots of a fabulous species, Marc. I shall keep my fingers crossed that they re-appear for you next year. I guess it's one that will forever stay on my wish list.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Who knows with global warming that maybe they will make it up your way in the coming years. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful images of a beautiful creature. Here's hoping for a re-appearance next year Marc.

    Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. It would be nice if they emerge next year but with only a few individuals that we know of present, the odds could go either way. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely stunning shots of the Southern Emerald Damselfly Marc, never I seen so photos, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Thought I wasn't going to see any this year. Take care.

      Delete
  5. The damsels look beautiful.
    Beautiful color and sharpness.
    Greetings Tinie

    ReplyDelete