Wednesday 9 August 2023

Ovipositing Brown Hawkers

I had noticed looking back through my notes that around this time last year, I photographed Brown Hawker ovipositing into decaying wooden sticks in the stream at Nethergong. Despite having dipped for nymphs over the years, I have only ever once caught a Brown Hawker nymph. I decided to hatch a plan whereby I would put a few pieces of wood in the stream with a view that if Brown Hawkers egg layed in them, I would be able to take one back home to my pond where hopefully they would emerge in the next couple of years. In this way, I would be able to study this species better and hopefully watch a few emerge... and as a bonus, maybe collect a few exuviae of this species of which I only have one. Having put a few pieces of decaying wood at various points along the stream a few days ago, I made a visit a few days ago where in lovely sunny weather, I decided to visit them to see whether they were being used and if so, maybe a few photos opportunities. I personally find the Brown Hawker the hardest species to photograph so in this way, at least they would come to me and give me a few shots. The first bit of wood I visited straight away had a female Brown Hawker ovipositing into it and I was able to slowly make my way nearer and take a few shots. I spent the next thirty minutes here where eventually, 3 female Brown Hawker were all sharing the log and busily egg laying. It was interesting watching the females ovipositor slowly pushing into the soft wood and injecting the eggs. They spent about twenty minutes constantly moving around the log before I needed to go. I carefully removed the piece of wood and gave it a wash down under a tap before bringing it home where it is now floating in my pond. I'm not sure how long they take to hatch but hopefully soon, I will have a few Brown Hawker nymphs which over time, I can photograph in my indoor tank set up. There are still a number of floating pieces of wood in the stream so no doubt these will be found and egg layed in. A pleasing hour or so's work and nice when a plan comes together. 























Brown Hawker (Aeshna grandis) - ovipositing female

5 comments:

  1. Such a wonderfully interesting tale about your Brown Hawker project accompanied by equally wonderful images. Hope it continues to bear all the fruit you hope for Marc....Good Luck.

    Regards from the north....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. Always like to set myself little challenges and well worth it when it pays off like this. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting Marc. I wish you lots of luck with the results. Take care. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. I will hopefully keep you updated with this project over the next two years. Wishing the time away. Take care.

      Delete
  3. I remember, in the past, that you have said that you don't have much luck with Brown Hawkers, Marc. I'm very impressed that you've managed to make your own luck and come up with such fabulous results. However, two ovipositing Brown Hawkers in one shot is just plain greedy !!

    Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete