Sunday 16 July 2023

Willows on the Wing

With sunshine forecast today but strong winds, I was desperate to try and see my first Willow Emerald Damselflies of the year at Nethergong, a highlight that I look forward to every year. I initially checked a few areas that normally deliver but with the wind ripping through the area, I had no luck so continued on until I found a nice sunny sheltered area. It wasn't long until I was watching the first of c40 Willow Emerald Damselfly rising from the emergent vegetation and perching up which allowed me to get a number of early season photos of one of my favourite species. They really are a stunning species and I made sure I put the camera down and made time to study the finer details on them.With a good number seen today, I'm hopeful of a good showing of this species this year on site and with only a week left at work until the summer holidays, I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to spend searching and photographing them. Walking back to the car, I also saw c10 Migrant Hawker, 1 Southern Hawker, a few Common and Ruddy Darter, 2 Small Red eyed Damselfly and a few Azure and Blue tailed Damselfly. 












Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - male 




Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - female 


7 comments:

  1. More excellent mages here Marc....Are there any characteristics other than the abdomen tip for separation male/female that I've missed please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. The only other difference is the female has a thicker abdomen whilst the male I think is longer and slender. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I've just finished drooling over your beautiful images, Marc! I can certainly see why it's your favourite damselfly species but, for me, the White-legged Damselfly takes top place. I suspect it's a bit early for the Willows up here, but I shall be looking for them - I had three sites last year.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. The WLD is not in the area where I live. It is in Kent but more common in a few areas in the West of Kent. Hopefully you will catch up with some Willows soon. Take care.

      Delete
  3. What a brilliant Willow Emerald Damselfly, beautiful done Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Bob. Thanks for your visit. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful stuff Marc. I wish I had the energy then I would join you and get my camera working. Take care,
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete