Sunday 24 April 2022

The Season Has Arrived

After what feels like a long winter, the season has finally arrived! Having seen a few species appearing over the past week on various social media sites I was eager to get out myself to see if any dragonflies or damselflies could be found. Although sunny but with a biting northerly wind, I spent a few hours at Westbere Lakes yesterday where in a few sheltered spots I managed to find 14 Large Red Damselfly, 9 Variable Damselfly and 1 Azure Damselfly. They were all mostly in one area along the river. A few of the Large Red Damselfly were making their maiden flights from the reeds into the Stinging Nettles to rest up. Having not photographed them for quite a few months now I was a little rusty to say the least but after a while and a few errors, I ended up with a few usable images. It was just nice to see them again and weather permitting, hopefully I can get back out soon to see what other species have emerged. Happy times are here! A quick check in on Nethergong produced 2 Blue tailed Damselfly at the pond and dipping in another area where I had seen Southern Migrant Hawker ovipositing last year produced... 7 Migrant Hawker nymphs! With this pool drying out quite quickly, I'm still optimistic that if I give it a few weeks, I may well find a Southern Migrant Hawker nymph. I'm sure they are in there.  




Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella) - male






Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) -  male




Variable Damselfly (Coenagrion pulchellum)

8 comments:

  1. Different story on the dragon scene up north Marc. I was at Birk Bank Bog on the best day of last week, with a glimmer of hope for Large Red Damselfly...dream on! But there's a good time coming.

    Regards

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only just happening here Pete. Need to get rid of this north wind and get the temperatures up. No doubt you will be tripping over Golden ringed Dragonflies soon!. Take care.

      Delete
  2. It's good to know that things have started for you, Marc. I was out looking a couple of times last week, but nothing so far. Looks as if we might be a bit short of sun this week, but I'll keep trying!

    Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly made me feel better seeing them. If this weather improves there should be a few more on the wing at the weekend. Just hoping it's sunny. Fingers crossed they appear for you soon. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Great news Marc , the Large Red Damselfly is a beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Certainly been a long wait to see them. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Welcome back Marc, And youhave brought some glorious weather with you. Nice pics to welcome the sunshine Take care. Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. Its nice to be back. Hopefully as the season progresses, there will be plenty of updates. Take care.

      Delete