Monday 2 May 2022

Dainty Damselfly Nymph Studies

I had a visit to Sandwich Bay on Saturday morning where with permission, I had a brief netting session in one of the pools that holds the Dainty Damselfly. After a while I had caught a few likely nymphs and so took them back to the observatory where I then set up my tank outside to take some photos. After preparing the area and getting everything ready, I then settled down to go through the nymphs to identify them. There were a few Variable / Azure Damselfly nymphs in there which could be partially identified due to their heavy spotting on the back of the head behind the eyes. I then found a few individuals which lacked the spotting on the head and then looked at the caudal lamellae to distinguish whether they would be Common Blue, Blue tailed or Dainty. Common Blue are quite easy to identify due to their dark bands across the lamellae and the Blue tailed tend to have more slimmer and pointed lamellae. The setae on the lamellae are also a feature to check. This then left me with a few individuals which lacked the spotting on the head, had 7 antennae segments and best of all, caudal lamellae which are broadest in the distal half, quite rounded and a point at the end. These I was confident were Dainty Damselfly nymphs. I had introduced a small piece of weed into the tank against the glass where the nymph was put in. It was then a case of waiting until appropriate moments happened where I was able to fire off a number of pleasing images with many showing the features visible to identify this super rare species. After a while I then returned all the nymphs back to the pool where I had found them. Many thanks to Sandwich Bay for allowing me to net and take photos here, much appreciated. In the afternoon I made a brief visit to Westbere Lakes where I managed to see 3 Hairy Dragonfly, 1 Red eyed Damselfly, 1 Banded Demoiselle along with a few Blue tailed, Azure and Variable Damselflies. The weather looks like it may be warming up down here over the next week. Fingers crossed next weekend gives me some time to see what has emerged and maybe a photo or two














Dainty Damselfly (Coenagrion scitulum) nymph showing id features including lack of spotting behind the eyes, 7 antennae segments and Caudal Lamellae broadest in the distal half

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful photographs and super documentation for this species, Marc. Congratulations!

    Still not found any odonata in these parts after five recent attempts!

    Stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. It seems the temperature is warming up this week so hopefully you will connect with some very soon. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Well camouflaged is the Dainty Damselfly, pretty thing Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They need to be Bob. There's a lot of things down there ready to eat them. Take care.

      Delete
  3. When you see this kind of excellent documentation with illustrations to match, you realise how wonderfully weird and complex these creatures are. I admire your all round knowledge of the subject Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very kind of you Pete. Always looking to extend my own knowledge. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marvellous Marc, Your stuff gets better every year, while I get slower and do everything in my garden. Take care.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. Your garden certainly does deliver the goods. What I would give to have Badgers in my garden. Keep up the good work. Take care.

      Delete