Tuesday 1 September 2020

The Highest Count So Far This Year

With the last day of the Summer Holidays here today, I wanted to make the most of it and have a few hours at Nethergong watching and photographing my favourite Willow Emerald Damselflies. The forecast didn't look that good initially with cloud forecast but by midday, the sun was breaking through quite nicely so after a twenty minute bike ride, I arrived at a quite sunny Nethergong. I spent about three and a half hours having a good walk around the site and managed to find 378 Willow Emerald Damselfly. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't check a few areas on the main lake as there were some people fishing but I'm sure I would have had a few more and pushed the total near to the magic 400 mark. I did on the other hand check a new area today just outside of the Nethergong boundary where in the distance, I could see a few overhanging trees along the stream. As I suspected, when I reached the area I soon found quite a few pairs of ovipositing Willow Emerald Damselflies. It's normally around midday that the males look for the females and then they mate before flying up into the trees to egg lay so with this in mind, I spent some time searching for mating pairs. After a good search of some areas, I soon found a few pairs and although some were out of reach for the camera, a few pairs were in ideal positions and I set about trying to capture a few photographs. With the sun right overhead at this time of the day, it was quite challenging at times to achieve the correct shots but with time, I ended up with some quite pleasing images. Also seen today were c20 Migrant Hawkers including mating and ovipositing pairs, 2 Emerald Damselfly 1 Brown Hawker, a few Ruddy Darter and many pairs of Common Darter in tandem. A fantastic session to end the holidays on and my highest count this year of the Willow Emerald Damselflies. It's back to work tomorrow but hopefully the weekends will allow me to get out and enjoy what Autumn has to offer.
 
 













Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis)


11 comments:

  1. Fantastic close-up images of the Willow Emerald Damselfly Marc, you're a brilliant photographer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind words Bob. They are much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. And there was me pleased to find 2 a couple of days ago!!!
    Great post Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 is a good starting point, as long as they are male and female. I'm very lucky with this colony. Possibly the best number in one site in the UK.

      Delete
  3. Another excellent set of images. So what's your all time record for the WED at Nethergong Marc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 386 is my best ever number so I was very close. Had I checked the lake and overhanging trees, I'm fairly sure I would have beat that. No doubt there are well over 400 in the area.

      Delete
  4. Many thanks Agnieszka... I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fine selection Marc. As for numbers, I don't see that many birds in a month. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike for your kind words. Much appreciated and take care.

      Delete
  6. Astounding numbers of Willow Emerald, Marc, and great captures too. I hope it never gets to the stage when you start thinking 'just another Willow Emerald', but I suspect that will never happen, knowing your love for this wonderful species.

    Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I never take for granted and it's always nice to be able to share the species with the campers. They soon get quite interested in them themselves when they realise the importance of the species and site.

      Delete