Thursday 11 June 2020

Male Stag Beetle

It was about a year ago that I had my first ever experience with a male Stag Beetle and I was not disappointed. To see one of these fascinating insects up close is pretty magical and then to learn about there lifecycle of being underground for up to 7 years as a larvae, it most certainly is an amazing insect and such a privilege to be able to study one up close. What with the lockdown we are currently in, I was starting to think that I might not get the chance to see one this year but thankfully, I received a message from Andrew Malone last night who has them breeding in his Whitstable garden alerting me that he had just found a male Stag Beetle in the garden after dark. This was a chance I could not miss and so made arrangements to visit early this morning to his garden to have a magical encounter. I arrived unfortunately in quite dark murky conditions this morning and was hoping for a bit of sunshine but it was not to be. Andrew let me in the back gate and I got myself set up in the garden with the tripod and camera while Andrew collected the Stag Beetle. I carefully put the Beetle on a log and thankfully for me, he just stayed there and posed beautifully allowing me to take a number of photos from different angles to show off those incredible features. From time to time, I had to put the camera down and just take in what was in front of me. To think that he had been under the ground for up to 7 years is one of nature's miracles. To then not feed at all for the short adult life makes the Stag Beetle quite an incredible insect. With a number of photos taken and light rain starting to fall, I had one more last good look at the Beetle and thanked Andrew for allowing me to visit in these testing times and made my way back to the car. If I don't get to see another one this year, I am lucky to have had a brilliant encounter but you never know, a few more may emerge and give me another chance to see and photograph what has to be one of our most stunning insects we have in this country.
 









Stag Beetle (Lucanus cervus) - male


15 comments:

  1. Many thanks Agnieszka. A really stunning insect, they certainly have won me over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous images of what, I agree, is one of the most amazing and fabulous insects in the UK, Marc. I believe that they are not found in these parts. I hope that you get more opportunities, although you'd be hard pressed to get better images than these!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Pleased with the shots, some sun would have been nice. Very fortunate to have these down here although they are very localised. Certainly made my day. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful series of the Stag Beetle, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. A superb insect and a real highlight of my year again.

      Delete
  4. Thats a handsome beast Marc and well photographed too. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. Well pleased with the outcome and photos and even better, the experience of seeing such a stunning insect.

      Delete
  5. An amazing insect, superb series of photos Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Rob for your kind words. Much appreciated. Take care.

      Delete
  6. Wish I made those! Great stuff! Gr. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John. A real treat to see one, let alone photograph such an iconic insect.

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos of a truly magnificent insect, Marc. Greetings from Sri Lanka!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Sri Lanka. That's a long way from the UK. Many thanks for your kind words. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic these photos! My compliments!
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete